Surveillance post Pembro

• 9 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Morning all

So at the end of January I have my final dose of Pembro, adjuvant therapy, I have had it 6 weekly for a year.

This year, my first year, I have had ct scans every 3 months on my body, every 6 months of my brain, skin checks every 3 months and lymph node scans every 4 months.

What can I expect surveillance to look like after the adjuvent treatment stops? I am a Melanoma 3c.

many thanks

• Hi Jazz5, 

Im wondering if the link below will help you.

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng14/chapter/1-Recommendations#follow-up-after-treatment-for-melanoma-2

I think as the NICE guidelines say consider, I think each hospital and possibly each patient has an individual plan that will be discussed at your next appointment and may be subject to covid delays. I’ve had scans every 3 months on chest etc, and 6 monthly on head. I have always had recurrences so I’ve not moved of 3 monthly. I’ve not had seperate lymph node checks as that’s picked up by the CT scan. I’ve not had skin checks as I was occult primary no moles and all freckles went with Dabrafenib.

Looking at the link it looks like 3 monthly for 3 years 6 monthly for 2 and consider discharge. I’m hoping others will say what they’ve had and you will feed back after your appointment to.

Take care KT

• Have you finished your treatment now ? How are you ? X 

• Yes I finished at the end of January. I have had a few more symptoms than when I was continuously having treatment. More rash break outs, fatigue, nausea and my eyes are quite sore and sensitive (waiting to see an opthalmogist for a check). 
    so I will contour to have scans every 3 months this year and lymph node ultrasounds every 4 months. Blood tests every 3 months as more severe side effects can still happen in this year apparently like thyroid issues, pancreas issues etc

• So pleased you have finished the years course! Not so good about side effects etc… I am having a wobble today! Been waiting on full ct scan results for 3 weeks now ( still not processed ), panic and worry is setting in. 
    I have had 6 out of 9 doses so finish date of all is well is 25th july so it’s in sight now ….. 

I am currently having full scans every 4 months and skin checks every 4 months too. 
    Lymph nodes scans I have never Been offered that, i must ask about it . 

• Hi Amcci

you are doing so well and I am so sorry you are having a wobbly today awaiting scan results I completely understand where you are at it is an absolutely fraught time! I had to wait 3 weeks for a biopsy on a rogue parotid gland in my cheek and the wait was endless. 
    I have skin checks every 6 months with a very experienced dermatologist. The ultrasound scans to the lymph nodes are apparently not available everywhere?! But I have been told as it was in my right axilla that’s probably where it will return.

you are doing brilliantly keep going you are almost at the end of this journey! I have had a wobbly since finishing treatment as I have had more symptoms than ever before and that has been really hard. But so grateful I am cancer free for now - scans and ultrasound next month.

• Thanks for these kind words I think I needed to hear those today. Very much appreciated, hopefully tomorrow is a better day as this wobble today is all over no scan  results the waiting destroys me.

best wishes for your scans and ultrasound next month x 

• Thank you Amcci remember you are still moving forward no matter what the scan results say - you are having the treatment and fighting the cancer and moving forward …. You are doing really well keep moving x

• Thank you x heading for an early night and hopefully a good nights sleep! Xx