Overcautious first post...brave enough to say hello now

• 1 reply
  • 74 subscribers

Hey.......I found a melanoma on my clitoris in June, after referral from my GP, had 2 biopsies taken 3 weeks later and then a week later had the "itsnotgoodnewsitscancer" phonecall. 2 surgeries. First attempt with local, couldnt get it all so general booked but had no bed for me to stay overnight so block used. Removed all melanoma, and margins. Had to dig deep as was in situ but best to be on the safe side. So. Have had the all clear. I felt very alone from the biopsies till now. No information, no contact from any professionals, I had to push constantly for info and treatment. I am not a pushy person, but wanted this treated as quickly as possible before it became a case for chemo. Macmillan has been the only support for me. They could not however help with the shock of having clitoral hood and clitoris removal and labia fused as skin graft during this treatment. Nothing was explained, and the aftermath has not been discussed with surgeon since. I have tried. When queried was told it was" 2 wide locals. It is not cancer." In a curt letter. So. Now I am in a state of...were the pathology reports wrong to tell me it was cancer? Have I been left like this for no good reason? Is melanoma NOT cancer? I have since found Macmillan counselling service and shall be signing up for that. As I dont know where to turn. So many emotions. Just thought would be brave and see if anyone else has had this unusual site for a melanoma and how things went for them afterwards....thanks for reading..x

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you were recently diagnosed with vulval melanoma (link) but that's great news that it was "in situ" and that all the cancer has been removed. You will see in the link that in situ means that the cells were only in the very top layer of the skin surface and often doctors refer to this as pre-cancer, which might be why your doctor has said in a letter that you do not have cancer.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you join the vulva cancer group as you'll find quite a few ladies there who have had this type of cancer. To do this just click on the link I've created and then join and post in the same way as you did here.

When you have a minute it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"