New mole

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi all,

New here,

I'm 25 year old male I have an average number of moles, no more than usual and no less than usual and they all seem pretty normal apart from a new one.

So I was playing football earlier with my best mate and I took my shirt off as it was so hot, and literally 10 seconds later my mate said "Jesus that's big" at first I didn't know what he was on about, until he pointed it out and there on my side just level with the belly button I know have a large mole which has come on in the last 3 days, when I say large I mean large, I went home and measured it and it is slightly over 5 CM by 3CM, it's obviously very noticeable and I have no idea how I hadn't noticed it in the last 3 days since I was last playing football! So it's clearly very big, it's all black and it has thick black hairs coming from it, it is actually very ugly, I'm not bothered about getting it removed for cosmetic reasons as everybody has moles and there's clearly no shame but obviously if it's something to be concerned about health wise than I will seek medical advice.

Been online and from what I can gather if a mole has hair growing out of it then it isn't cancerous, I don't know if thats a myth or true? The fact is, it is a 5CM by 3CM large mole newly developed growing hairs, apart from that it looks like a normal mole, purely by the size of it alone makes me tempted to see a doctor, should I be concerned?

If it's benign then it won't bother me but if it isn't then clearly it will bother me, I guess I'm just seeking re-assurance!

Sorry for the long post

• Hi and welcome to the online community

My best advice is that if this mole is worrying you, and it clearly is because you've posted here, then pick up the phone and make an appointment to see your GP. Your GP will examine the mole and, if necessary, will refer you on to a dermatologist who will examine it further.

Do let us know how you get on after you've seen your GP.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

So I went to the doctors yesterday after work and he looked at it etc, he said it is largest mole he has ever seen but he didn't see anything what even remotely concerns him, he said the size of it can be worrying but the fact hairs are growing out of it counters that and he also said it doesn't show any characteristics of a cancerous mole, he seemed so sure that he hasn't even refereed me for more tests so the fact he hasn't I find is reassuring.

He just gave me the usual advice such as keep an eye out for any changes to it and to make sure I use sun cream when out in the sun paying particular attention to the area where the mole is.

I feel a lot more re-assured now

• That's good news that your GP isn't concerned about your mole  and I'm glad to hear that you feel reassured by this.

Checking your skin once a month for new or changing moles is a good habit to get into. Also, try to cover up as much as possible and if it isn't possible to cover up, eg when playing football, make sure that you've applied sunscreen of at least factor 30.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you, as I said in my first post I play a lot of football and when it's boiling hot I like to take my top off, I think I'll still do that but I'll make sure I apply the sunscreen of atleast factor 30 as you advised, and of course keep an eye on that and other moles.