Newly diagnosed with Melanoma currently Stage 2a........sleepless nights

• 36 replies
  • 66 subscribers

Hello
I Started this journey recently in Nov 2020 having been diagnosed with currently Stage 2a Melanoma (2.5mm), awaiting WLE and SNLB scheduled for Jan 2021. As it is in awkward area on my skin and the skin in tight, it has yet to be decided whether a skin graft is required or flap.
I have had a lesion on my right shin for many years and as I noted changes to its appearance in 2013, I had it checked out and was referred to hospital whereby a skin scrape was completed and sent for biopsy, the results came back as benign. However, now it turns out that the skin lesion in 2013 has been reassessed by a different pathologist and I have been informed the skin lesion indeed was a melanoma in 2013.  I also had the skin lesion again looked at G.p. in 2017 And the G.p took a further skin scrape and appears did not send it for a biopsy.

Has anyone had anything similar with having melanoma for a number of years and never realised or been detected early ?, Does this mean because I have had the melanoma for 7 years it has more likely to have spread these are some of the thoughts I have and get scared, 

In addition I also had CT and MRI that they informed me was clear, however I have recently been informed following the scans being re-examined the CT scan shows a “spot” on my lung, and I would have to have further CT in the near future to ascertain if there are any changes, I was told to try not worry because the spot on my lung could be old scar tissue. 

Im trying my best at moment to put a smile on my face and be positive around my family, as I don’t want them worried but some moments just hit me from no-where. Im worried about many things, the upcoming op and outcome of the tests completed. 
Anyone with any advice to share or has a similar experience is very much appreciated . Thank you in advance and best wishes. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TrueRed

Hi, im new to the forum. I was diagnosed with 2a melanoma in October 2020 and had my WLE and SLNB in November (last month). I had lymph nodes removed from both sides of my groin and one armpit. My WLE is now a 10cm scar on my lower back, they wernt sure wether I needed a graft but luckily they managed to pull the skin together to stitch it up. I did have the mole checked out with a dermatologist back in 2014 who said it was ok, no tests were done back then so maybe it was missed or maybe it was ok and hadn't developed. Luckily I got the all clear a week before Christmas !!! So grateful, I understand it is such a scary situation to be in when you are waiting for tests/results.  I had many sleepless nights and down days.

Wishing you all the best x 

• Hi MrsGG

Thank you for your reply, bless you, hope your healing well. Yes the waiting is the worst when waiting for results and anxiety increases, pleased you got all positive results. Take care and here’s to a better year in 2021 xx

• Hey MammaT

Everything crossed for you too , me too staying in for one night following the op, best wishes to you too  for the new year xx 

• Hi

I just wanted to wish you all the best for your WLE and SLNB this week.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi latchbrook

Thank you for your kind thoughts x I’m now two days post op and at home recovering with plenty of pain meds and antibiotics, the care and treatment I received from all of the surgery team, ward nurses, ward staff and everybody was outstanding during my stay in hospital. I had General anaesthetic, 2 cm WLE on right shin, skin graft taken from left thigh and one lymph node removed from right groin. All ok when come around and taken to ward, pain managed really well with pain killers on all op sites, then I began with a temperature Thermometer face and the most horrific pain in the left hand side of my neck/jaw, turns out I had pulled muscle in my neck as they suspect through stress and worry I have been clenching my jaw in my sleep and hurt my neck the night prior to the op, and my temp is suspected tonsillitis. I was discharged the day after, I’m confined to the bedroom at home at the moment as I’m under strict instructions not to mobilise much only to bathroom ect, to allow the best chance for the skin graft to take. I’m being well looked after by my partner and teenage kids and feel comfortable and resting as I have no energy at the moment. I go back in a weeks time for wound checks and dressing changes and results of SLNB will be discussed with me and the consultant and they said this is about 4 weeks time. Xx

• Hi MammyT

how are you doing ? Hope all went well xx

• Hi

I'm glad to hear that everything went well and you were well looked after in the hospital.

I found that following the hospital's advice on taking pain meds meant that I was largely pain free and after a few days I felt comfortable enough to stop taking them.

My WLE was on my arm and the SLNB in my armpit so I was encouraged to get up and exercise as soon as possible but I do understand that it's different when it's on your leg and groin nodes are involved.

Like you, I found that my energy levels were down for a few days and my husband did all the housework and cooking for the first couple of weeks. After that I was back to normal, although it took a good deal longer for all the soreness to completely go from the operation areas.

I'll be keeping everything crossed that no melanoma is found in your SLN.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi lovely! I had my procedure on Thursday, allowed home Friday. All went well, 2cm wle which they ended up closing directly as there was little to play with anywhere on my shoulder. Lymph node removed from left armpit (sore!). Everything went really well, like you I have to go and get wounds checked next week and results in around 4 weeks with consultant. Other than everything feeling very tight and sore I’m doing well. Hoping to go out abs get some fresh air this afternoon after being cooped up for so long! Glad to hear all went ok with you! 

• Hey MammaT Heartpulse

good to hear all went well with you too and you doing ok xx take care and best wishes. Yes, being sore is part of my life too at the moment but getting plenty of rest and beginning to feel I have more energy now but I being cautious and telling myself not to do too much xx 

• Hey MammaT, latchbrook and all 

two weeks post op, how you doing MammaT ? hope you healing good. My skin graft has taken good, the hospital informs me on my checks, donor site is now drying but sore !,, lymph node removal site remains tender and swollen, and has gradually caused swelling to generate down to my knee, but not to be deterred, hospital-said this can happen as lymph fluid gathers and is hopefully reabsorbed eventually and no sign of a seroma, but one to keep a eye on, so I’ve purchased some cycling shorts to compress the area and it does help, just feels weird when walking but it remains still early days and I can cope. No indication of any results as yet and this is not far from my mind as time goes on but I remain to take a day at a time and being really well looked after by my kids and partner. Hope you all doing the best you can in these testing times, take care and best wishes.