Newly diagnosed with Melanoma currently Stage 2a........sleepless nights

• 36 replies
  • 66 subscribers

Hello
I Started this journey recently in Nov 2020 having been diagnosed with currently Stage 2a Melanoma (2.5mm), awaiting WLE and SNLB scheduled for Jan 2021. As it is in awkward area on my skin and the skin in tight, it has yet to be decided whether a skin graft is required or flap.
I have had a lesion on my right shin for many years and as I noted changes to its appearance in 2013, I had it checked out and was referred to hospital whereby a skin scrape was completed and sent for biopsy, the results came back as benign. However, now it turns out that the skin lesion in 2013 has been reassessed by a different pathologist and I have been informed the skin lesion indeed was a melanoma in 2013.  I also had the skin lesion again looked at G.p. in 2017 And the G.p took a further skin scrape and appears did not send it for a biopsy.

Has anyone had anything similar with having melanoma for a number of years and never realised or been detected early ?, Does this mean because I have had the melanoma for 7 years it has more likely to have spread these are some of the thoughts I have and get scared, 

In addition I also had CT and MRI that they informed me was clear, however I have recently been informed following the scans being re-examined the CT scan shows a “spot” on my lung, and I would have to have further CT in the near future to ascertain if there are any changes, I was told to try not worry because the spot on my lung could be old scar tissue. 

Im trying my best at moment to put a smile on my face and be positive around my family, as I don’t want them worried but some moments just hit me from no-where. Im worried about many things, the upcoming op and outcome of the tests completed. 
Anyone with any advice to share or has a similar experience is very much appreciated . Thank you in advance and best wishes. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TrueRed

Glad to hear the op went ok. I can amazing the graft being uncomfortable for you. My lymph sites were really tender for a good few weeks. My armpit was swollen the worst , it all looked to be healed end of Dec. (My op was 16th Nov) then last week I had a sore lump under my armpit and found it was infected :(  

I think the lymph sites take longer to heal than you think, I think I expected them to be ok after about 3 weeks. I also had incisions both sides of groin which were a little swollen but now are ok , just some firmish tissue under the scar, I remember the nurse said to me to massage the scars on my groin to help the fluid but it made me feel really squeamish as it was sore . 

Hopefully you're results will come soon and you can have some peace of mind

Sending some positive vibes. Its good that you're being looked after well.

xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

*imagine not amazing! 

• Hi MrsGG

Hope you doing good and healing going in right direction now. My skin graft doing good but remains sore on one side where a stubborn stitch wouldn’t come out very well, so they swabbed it today to ascertain if I have an infection lurking, my swollen leg/thigh remains swollen but manageable and the donor sight looks horrific but no longer hurts. On balance I’m doing ok and importantly today I got my results, no cancer found in the lymph node removed or in the skin from WLE !! Been lots of tears today ! Heartpulse you take care xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TrueRed

Ahh thats Amazing news!!! Congrats. You can just concentrate fully on looking after yourself and healing now. I definitely felt very emotional when I got the all clear, I thought I'd be jumping up and down but I found I was very teary and reflective! Such good news for you. I've just finished my antibiotics and my armpit looks to be healing again now, fingers crossed they find no infection for you and it can continue to heal xx 

• Hi latchbrook and everyone

Results today, all clear, No melanoma found in SLN and No melanoma found in WLE, Emotional day !! Happy and emotionally exhausted, also think it’s trepidation, but that’s the way I’m built and also my experience of it being missed twice by the clinicians and I know this will hopefully settle with time as I become vigilant in my moles and body and regular check ups xx take care of you and all you love Heart

• Oh that's fantastic news !!!!

I hope, even in these times, you'll be able to have a little celebration. Maybe a glass of something or a nice, big piece of cake. Actually not sure which I'd choose, lol.

Take care, remember those monthly checks of your skin and be safe in the sun.

xx

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Such fantastic news so pleased for you!! I’m yet to hear anything but they did tell me 4 weeks and obv it’s only been 3. Fingers crossed Fingers crossed for next week! 

• Sending you positive thoughts MammaT Heart

• Thanks lovely... still nothing Cry so crazy that we both had our surgery the same day and you heard over a week ago now. I can’t help but think that it’s not good news and therefore needing MDT discussion? Fingers crossed Fingers crossed for next week. How did you get your results TrueRed? Was it via phone/post or in person? X

• Hey MammaT

sorry to hear you have not heard anything yet, have you contacted your skin cancer nurse ? as they could hopefully throw some light on the matter for you. I know it is easier said then done to think the worse because I did the same as in my case as I was preparing myself to deal with whatever the outcome could be. And I was also telling myself that I had no control and had to pull myself into being positive and try to get the mindset if the results did show melanoma in my lymph node there are so many options in treatments that are successful as I learned on this forum and talking to skin cancer nurse and ringing Macmillan support line.

I contacted my skin cancer nurse as I knew that the MDT meeting where I’m being treated are held on a Thursdays that did not mean I would be definitely be heard at that meeting but I requested if I was being heard and whatever the outcome if she would request in the meeting to being my voice and ask permission to give me my results over the phone and I got my results over the phone from the skin cancer nurse. I was also prepared that they could have declined as I had a face to face appointment booked in for the following Tuesday with the plastic surgeon. I attended my appointment as planned with plastic surgeon as my wounds needed looking at and swelling/tenderness persists in groin/thigh/leg but I can live with it and also I have a CT scan booked in to check out a nodule on my lung. And we had a lengthy discussion about my results and I had lots of questions that I had prepared and also other moles to be checked out. Next steps are follow ups and self skin examinations and further anxious times I guess as there is the worry of reoccurrence but this is part of melanoma, it’s life long  whatever the outcome but the key thing for me I will not let it hold me back from continuing to enjoy life best I can with those I love.

you keep your chin up best you can, be gentle with yourself also as you also allowed not to be ok my lovely and I have everything crossed for you xxx