Check Up Time

• 1 reply
  • 55 subscribers

I had a mole removed last year which was diagnosed as Stage 1A, had the WLE and everything came back fine. I've had one of the all over body follow up checks and I've got my final one in a couple of weeks. I've got 2/3 moles that I mentioned last time that were checked with the dermascope and I was told were all fine. One in particular is not that far away from the original mole. I've recently found an old photo where that mole wasn't present although it was probably about 8 years ago, so its not one I've had from birth. 

The problem is the one I had removed, was only removed after I had a private mole check which I paid for after my GP telling me it was fine. The first dermatology appointment with the NHS after the private check, the dermatologist said on it's own looking at it, she wouldn't have been concerned. Luckily I had a photo from a year previous and a current one where she could see there had been slight changes which is why they referred me to have it removed first for testing, before it did come back as Stage 1A melanoma. 

It feels like this last appointment (they only give you two after stage 1 with dermatology before the route then becomes the same as everyone else again through the GP), is my "last chance" to kick up a fuss about this one that just doesn't "feel" right. I have a photo from six months ago and there doesn't seem to be any changes but after finding the one from a few years ago where it wasn't on my arm at all I'm feeling anxious. Obviously I will explain this when I have my appointment but short of continuing to take photos to compare every few months is there anything else I can do? I'm already a bit anxious as I have a lot of moles over my body of various shapes and sizes and whilst they tell you to take photos etc, for one I can't on my back and two there are so many it's hard to even figure out which one I'm comparing the photos too. 

• It can be harder to have things removed nowadays... Both moderately and severely dysplastic used to get removed, but moderate can be more watch and wait nowadays, though severe should always come out... It's hard for me watching my moles change to the stage when doctors will take them out. I did investigate following in my siblings footsteps and getting some removed privately, which would have been very quick and could have been done at my own NHS dermatology department... But, I was a bit loathe to pay out and finally got the mole removed on NHS, which was moderately dysplastic. The ones the NHS took out were mainly severely dysplastic plus an inflamed moderately dysplastic one.

I had full body photography taken at the hospital after I had so many dysplastic moles and given family history of melanoma (FAMMM syndrome).

You can get mole apps that monitor things for you. Am reluctant to advise as I only used one for a short while – it kept flagging I needed to see GP about things and increased my anxiety, though it was useful in helping me know which ones I needed to pay attention to when doing my own monitoring. I've still got one that is going to have to come out eventually – slow changing. I um and ah about just getting it removed and maybe I can relax a bit more as it is the only ugly duckling I currently have. I think maybe I should follow up on it again – GP said he wanted to check it after 12 months, but I forgot to go back (someone told me it looked darker a few weeks ago but when I didn't go back I didn't feel it had changed – think it actually is darker now and have just done picture to drop off at GP). GP has a dermatoscope and got some training, so does first-line checks. I was trying to balance going back with when I think they will bother to remove it!!

Am rambling here, but main thing I want to say is there is never a last chance as you can always get GP to send photos to dermatology. I once had to go back repeatedly after discharge, culminating in multiple 2WW referrals, some of which led to dermatology seeing me in person, some to them just comparing images with the total body photography. If you are that anxious why not ask hospital about having the photography, though it is a little embarrassing being under the bright lights and I was unlucky enough to get a male photographer.

Rose x