Biopsy results wait…

• 10 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi everyone, first time poster, I hope you are all well. 

I had an excision biopsy taken just over 2 weeks ago, I was advised by the dermatologist that results could take around 6 weeks. I wasn’t too worried at first and I’m sure the mole was removed as a ‘better safe than sorry’ situation, but as the time is ticking on I can feel myself becoming more anxious.

Anyway, I had my appointment with the nurse today to have my stitches removed. She asked if I’d had my results yet, I told her not yet but that the derm did say around 6 weeks. I asked her if that was a typical wait and she said it probably is.

I noticed on her pc there was a yellow ‘pop-up’ type box in the top right hand corner of the screen, I could see my name but couldn’t make out anything else… I am absolutely sure I am being paranoid here, but I can’t stop wondering what it is and if it could be a message/flag re results.  I’m not sure what I’m here to ask really if I’m honest, I think I’m just looking for reassurance, or potentially if anyone knows what this mysterious yellow box could have been!

• Heya

I had a skin biopsy and the results took more than 6 weeks to come back, although he could tell from the biopsy it was a BCC it just needed to be confirmed.

Hopefully you don't have to wait much longer..waiting is the worst part! 

• Thanks for your reply Slight smile

it’s so long, isn’t it! I hope you’re recovering well. 

Do you mind me asking if your bcc excision is a large wound? I have a suspected bcc on my nose and have an appointment with plastics towards the end of the month, the dermatologist said they may want to remove it but that margins are quite big?

• I'm all recovered thank you. Day 2 and 3 were by far the worst, I won't lie. However, I could only take paracetamol because I had a newborn at the time and breastfeeding. 

Mine is on the right hand side of my face near my temple and yes, it is quite large. We were going to go down the plastics route but the consultant was happy to do it himself. The skin was sooooo tight! 

• I’m so glad you’re doing well.  Thank you for sharing, that is quite a significant wound isn’t it! It does look sore, what a trooper managing by with just paracetamol! 

• Hope you get your results & some good news soon. My mum had a biospy on a mole nearly 5 weeks ago & still no results back so it certainly looks like 6 weeks+ is the norm at the moment for a lot of people

• Hi there,

It seems to be! I will be 5 weeks today since biopsy but no results as yet. Hope your mum hears soon too and hope for good news for you! 

• I was told results would be 5-6 weeks for results and it was 5. The waiting is awful. Good luck x

• Hi LadyBaba 

thanks for your reply, I’m glad you have your results and I hope that everything is going well for you.

it was 7 weeks ago today since biopsy but no results yet unfortunately. I’m hoping that a longer wait possibly means that they haven’t found anything serious, it is hard to avoid thinking about the worst during the wait though isn’t it? 

I hope you’re keeping well

• Morning

maybe you could give hospital a ring to see if you can find anything out about when you are going to get your results. I find the waiting is the worst. Knowing what is happening is better than knowing nothing and overthinking everything.

i’ve just had a call from hospital with my appt for next Monday to see plastic surgeon.

Good luck. Hope you hear soon x

• Hi Ladybaba,

I’m trying my best to resist the urge to call and seem impatient, I did call my GP surgery last week just to check there were no results on my file but they had nothing either. It’s easy to obsess over it though isn’t it, I keep thinking though if it was to be bad news surely I would have heard by now!

I hope everything goes well during your appointment! Look after yourself x