Help! Treatment and honeymoon?!

• 3 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi all! New here, and would absolutely love some advice and perspective from yourselves! 

My fiancé has recently been diagnosed with a stage 3 melanoma on his foot, that has now advanced to his lymph nodes. He's booked in for surgery a week today to remove the cancerous cells on his foot, and remove the lymph nodes in his groin on his left side. Following this it seems he'll have a drain in and then progress to some drug treatment/immunotherapies, but he's only being referred to oncology following his surgery.

Plot twist is that we're getting married next month, but our friends and family don't know. This was always the plan long before the melanoma came along, so we're having a big party next year to celebrate which everyone else thinks is the wedding! Regardless, it's made it more stressful now with trying to plan and sort the wedding alongside getting my fiancé through this period! And there are also fertility issues which are being looked into. So quite a bit going on!

Regardless, as we're so early in this process still and we know nothing in the grand scheme, I'd love to pick your brains a little!

1. In regard to treatment following surgery, what has everyone's experiences been? We have no idea what he is to expect where we have no contact with oncology yet, and would love to find out a little more from yourselves!

2. Honeymoon! Obviously with the sun avoidance during peak hours being such a big factor our previous sun holiday plans have been scuppered a little. He's still suggesting we could do it but with him indoors during peak hours alot, but given it's our honeymoon, I want to spend as much time with him as possible. Does anyone have any abroad holiday ideas, that are feasible with skin cancer? Budget would be around £4k

Thank you!! Hearts

• Sorry to put a dampener on your plans but when I had lymph nodes removed from my groin I had a drain in for 4 weeks. (2 bottles that i carried around in a shoulder bag and emptied regularly)  I then got an infection in the leg and was taken to A & E with suspected sepsis and had a few nights in hospital. I got cellulitis too which is very painful. Unfortunately one never knows the effects of surgery so I learned not to make plans. Please get advice from someone with a bit more knowledge, as I can only tell you about my experience. 

Diane

• Hi – oh dear, this one is tricky. Firstly, sorry to hear your plans have been scuppered. Sadly, I feel the scuppering is more than "a little" (sending a hug!)

Please get medical advice related to your fiancé's specific case, failing that ring the nurse helpline here or cancer research to direct you further (they can be contacted now by chat or telephone) as there will be things to consider and you need to really get your head around this one sooner rather than later? (Personally, I think you are massively under-estimating the effects of this surgery especially re melanoma on a foot).

Secondly, insurance ... whenever you take that honeymoon, you're going to need it in case of complications and I don't think it is likely to be available within the time period you are seeking (by all means double-check on the travel insurance section here)

• I've just had my 3rd surgery on my foot, first time to remove a 3.2mm nodular tumour (details in bio). Not sure what surgery your fiancee needs but 2 of my surgeries needed a skin graft, one was just a regular WLE. The graft certainly taking longer to recover and you literally can't do anything for some time because it is just impossible to put any weight on the foot. Each surgery has needed weekly wound checks until dressings are removed.  No weight on the foot at all for the 1st week. After that, hobbling around on crutches for another 2/3 weeks. Pain easing and able to put more weight on foot after about a month.

I also had groin SLNB (thankfully negative) so I didn't needed a full lymph node removal but that wound was even more painful than the graft site at times and took months to recover.

Sorry to sound so negative and dramatic but maybe have a real think about things? You might need to tell some close friends/family about the wedding plans to get some help? I hate to say but from my experience, you guys are in for a real tough time. And of course as other people have said, totally get some professional advice on everything. 

Sending much love xx