New scar phobia

• 5 replies
  • 54 subscribers

After a very long wait I have finally had the WLE and SNLB done for my stage 2B melonoma on my upper arm. I am pleased to say that it has all gone very well and has not caused me too much discomfort. I can honestly say it was no where near as bad as I was expecting. I do have one little issue. I seem to have developed a phobia with the scar on my arm and can not bring myself to touch it. I have been told by the hospital to massage in soft paraffin gel twice a day. I can apply the ointment to the scar under my arm which I can not see and is smaller but as yet I have a strong repulsion of the one on my arm.  I would not say that I am a particularly queasy person so am surprised by this. Thank goodness for my husband who is dutifully applying the ointment and massaging the scar. I have got to find a way to overcome this problem as the application of moisturiser is going to go on for a long time if I want the best outcome for the scar.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions as to how to overcome it would be helpful.

Thanks

Claire

• Hiya . Glad all went well . I have massive scars and massive phobia still but am getting to grips with them .  In the shower I force myself to cover them in shower gel and approach them gently . One of them I got drunk and rubbed moisturiser in for 15 minutes and the next day realised how much better it felt so got over that one . Plus effects of anaesthetic!!  I think for mine it is better to keep checking in case anything else pops up as well . I’m sure in your case it won’t but always good to have it in the bag there’s no nasties. Use your husband too xx 

• Thank you Anna, if I have not made any progress with it in the next week I might try having a stiff drink!!. I am trying wearing a T-shirt so that I get use it seeing the scar to see if that helps.

• I’m the same it makes me feel sick. I have a few inch scar on my right thigh just above my knee. I’m awaiting a WLE so haven’t massaged it yet really x

• I do have some good news, after a couple of weeks and once all the stitches had gone I could deal with it. I hope it is just a matter of time for you to get over the yuck factor.

• Ahh this is good then. X