Recurrent melanoma

• 8 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi

New here - I had melanoma on my shoulder 10 years ago and just last week found another melanoma on my back close to the other site.

i go all the time and they just found this one. I am concerned how close they are too each other 

thoughts ?  

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not sure from your post if you've had a biopsy on this new lesion which has confirmed melanoma or your dermatologist has found something that needs removing and sending off for a biopsy. I had a melanoma removed from my left upper arm 5 years ago now and, touch wood, haven't had a recurrence. I have had a couple of lesions removed since which thankfully turned out to be benign.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• And thank you I didn’t know 

both have been confirmed stage 1 melanoma 

just thought it was interesting how close they are to each other and also this new one on back does not see any light —-it’s between my shoulder blades under my long hair 

• Sorry to hear that the new one is a melanoma too Disappointed

I've come to the conclusion that a melanoma can appear anywhere on your skin and not just areas which are exposed to the sun. Mine was on the back of my arm, in an area that wouldn't have had anywhere near as much sun as the front of my arm did. 

Are you having a WLE and SLNB or have these already been done?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• One was done 10 years ago and then for the new one I go Monday the 21

i don’t know exactly what the dermatologist is doing 

sorry he just said he will do surgery and “take it all out “ then

• I would assume that the surgeon will be doing the same as after your first melanoma was removed, ie a wide local excision (WLE) where they take more skin away all around the site to make sure they have clear margins.

Let us know how it goes.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi sorry to hear that you have a recurrence, can I ask what treatment you received for the first please. Thank you 

• Sure it was stage 1 on my shoulder 

she did Wide excision of the site and tested each time she took some off the site 

kept looking until the margins were clear

i am assuming the same thing will happen on Monday this is a different dermatologist since I moved 

I trust him so we will see what he does