Immunotherapy

• 34 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Hello, I'm due to begin immunotherapy soon to prevent my melanoma returning in future. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience if it, I'm obviously a little concerned Worried 

• Hi Rubies, yes I’ve had immunotherapy Pembrolizumab, are you having that one or Nivolumab? 

Take care KT

• I'm having pembrolizumab 

• I'm blessed that my operation was a success, I didn't have a primary source, it just appeared in one lymph node in my groin and stayed there, the other nodes removed were clear and I've had a clear full body CT scan also, praise God

• I know when I was moving on to Pembrolizumab they gave me a visit to the day unit where I would be going. The treatment doesn’t take long, for chemo people can be in their for hours with Pembro they put the cannula into your arm and attach a saline drip (water) for about 10 mins or until they have done all the checks they need to do on your prescription then the Pembro takes 30 mins and then water again for 10 mins. 

Sorry before I leapt into that I should have asked if you had any questions.

Take care KT

• Rubies I didn’t have a primary source either it was discovered for me in many lymph nodes to many to have surgery in 2015. But Pembro got me to clear, and I had it again as a preventative treatment when one lymph was stubborn and was the only one affected and I had surgery to remove that one. So mine is a very long but not typical journey. 

Take care KT

• I’m hoping you will just have the year and remain clear for some considerable time.

Take care KT

• I was just wondering how severe the side effects are and if I would manage going to work and doing normal everyday things in between treatments?

• They said just the year

• Oh I'm pleased you are through it now and pray you remain that way 

• I think it’s likely that you will but side effects are different for everyone. I was tired for 4 days after each iv, it seemed to mess with my sugar levels a bit. I was not at work but went for long walks with my husband and played tennis with friends and I just paced myself in the 4 days as over doing it made it last longer. It gives a long list of possible side effects but tiredness was the only thing that affected me and it was manageable not bad enough to call fatigue.

Take care KT