Seroma - top tips?

• 4 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hello (again) - I have all the questions this week!

I am 99% sure I'm developing a seroma where my lymph nodes were removed from. It is swollen and hard and slowly getting bigger. (I'm 100% sure it's NOT infection because it's not hot, not red, not painful, no discharge or odour.)

Before my op the surgeon said that seroma is a common temporary complication and nothing to worry about and he can drain it at our 3 month follow up. However, I'm probably not going to want to have it drained unless it gets massive as I read they can reduce by themselves given time, and draining might just encourage the lymph to keep on going to that site instead of rerouting.

So on to my question to those of you who have experienced this:

What are your top tips for managing seroma? Should I move more or rest my leg more? Do massages help? Should I get tight spanx? (At the moment I've not been wearing anything elastic directly over the wound because it does hurt to press elastic on it - I'm one week post op).

I'm hoping that I can help my body to sort itself out!

Thank you everyone,

Kate 

• Hi Kate. You have had no reply yet. Can I offer advice from my experience as a vet? If it is just a seroma it will go down in time - perhaps not totally but mostly. It could be drained if it very painful or in a difficult place, but draining comes with the risk of infection. As much gentle movement as you can will help blood and lymphatic circulation to the area and aid dispersion of the fluid.So try gentle movement and local massage towards your trunk. If it is in your leg keeping the part with the seroma elevated a few times a day might help.

Why is it there? The body doesn't like spaces so fills them with serum. The serous fluid gradually clots just like a blood clot, and as healing progresses the clot shrinks and is eventuall dispersed.

You might be left with a little thickening of tissue at the end but nothing likely to be worrying. give it time. You are absolutely right that signs of infection are redness, heat swelling and pain. Some or all of those then contact your medical team. Hope that helps. 

"There is nothing as powerful as a made up mind"  - JASON SCHECHTERLE.

• Thank you so much Siegfried. That is really helpful and reassuring advice. Xx

• Hi Kate, 

As Siegfried explained it very well, it is a normal healing process for the body area that has been stressed.

I had seroma on my SLNB site and my consultant said the same things on my follow up, it'll take up to 3 months for it to go back to normal. Told me to gently moisturise the scar of the SLNB and massage it slowly around the area after the stitches are removed. I was told to keep my feet elevated during the first week at all times and as much as I can for the 2nd week, I think this advise was mostly to do with preventing lymphadema. Not to do excessive exercise for 6 weeks and than to start gently. 

Keep an eye for infection signs but otherwise try not to worry too much. I am now 3 months after surgery and it has almost disappeared.