Sun protection

• 8 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi I'm new here I'm 21 I've just had my WLE and stitches removed the other day. I have another suspicious lesion on my back Ive always been one for lots of summer holidays and sunbathing quite often ( with minimal sun protection) I'm worried now about even leaving the house with no sun protection does anyone have any recommendations of moisturisers with high spf so I can incorporate using spf in my daily routine rarther than having to use ordinary suncream all the time. 

well wishes to everyone x 

• Hi Bluemoon2000 I’m quite new here too and still learning but there is always lots of discussion around best sun protection and I’m sure those who are way more experienced will provide some good information….I find La Roche Posay F50 for face really good, it’s not sticky or too obvious and sits nicely under makeup…they also do a top up face spray too…I have tried SPF50 moisturiser by Clarins but not really sure how much I trust this following my diagnosis and would rather use one that has been recommended….I got samples of La Roche & Sun Sense from Macmillan after my WLE…Boots have it on a 3 for 2 at present….I use a Nivea f50 for other bits such as neck and backs of hands….I also bought a couple of hoodies from Solbari which I have found invaluable for when I’m out and about…hope this helps!

• Hi ivy's mum,

I'm still navigating my way round here ahaha but thankyou Ive heard really good things about la Roche posay actually I will definitely go and have a look in boots and try it out i will ask my derm about the clarins one at my next appointment but best to be on the safe side I guess. I didn't even know they did hoodies they might definitely be a good investment as I'm really into outdoor sports I'll let you know how I get on thankyou! 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with melanoma and that you have another suspicious lesion on your back. Do you have a date for having that removed?

When I was first diagnosed I too was worried about leaving the house and tried to stay in the shade all the time even to the extent of crossing the road to avoid the sun! I got rid of these vampire tendencies the following summer and now know that being sensible in the sun doesn't mean that you have to stop doing things you used to enjoy doing in the sun, unless that was sunbathing, but you do need to change some things to protect yourself.

I don't know what advice your dermatologist has given you but the generally accepted 'rules' are:

1. Stay out of the sun during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world
    2. When going outside wear long sleeved tops and trousers/skirts made from natural fibres like cotton
    3. Wear a broad brimmed hat (brim should be at least 3 inches) and sun glasses
    4. Sit in the shade and never sunbathe 
    5. Any part of your body that is not covered, ie face, neck, back of hands should have a sun protection cream of SPF 50 that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays
    6. Re-apply the sunscreen as directed on the bottle
    7. Never use sunbeds
    8. Don't use sunscreen instead of covering up

The first summer after I was diagnosed was particularly hard as I used to enjoy sitting in the sun. However, I quickly got used to the new regime and have a selection of hats to choose from when I go out. I also decided that I now needed a whole new wardrobe so went on a shopping spree. So, every cloud has a silver lining!

I enjoy walking so have to admit that if I'm away on holiday and we're planning a walk I don't then stick to the rule of staying out of the sun between 11am and 3pm but just make sure that I'm covered up and wearing sunscreen on my face and back of hands. It's just not always practical to stay indoors for 4 hours in the middle of the day.

I don't wear a moisturiser with a high SPF so can't help there I'm afraid. If I'm going outside then I use Sunsense Daily Face SPF50+ as it has a slightly tinted matt finish. I then use their Ultra SPR 50+ on anywhere else that isn't covered, eg back of hands and neck. They also do a very handy roll-on which you can slip in a bag or pocket.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I hope that helps a little but if you want to ask anything else please do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Bluemoon2000,

I've had my stitches removed today after 10 days. Are you back to your normal activities? I still find it difficult to walk at my usual speed as it feels tight on the WLE and SLNB scar. 

I am using La Roche Possay 50 + as a Sunscreen. Lots of brands (clarins, eucerin, caudalie, Neil's yard) have moisturisers with 30+ spf. I was using Avene products before diagnosis and they have 30+,but after diagnosis i don't feel safe with 30+ during summer. I might still do during winter though.

In terms of clothing Uniqlo, Mountain warehouse, cotswold and Solbari all have uv protective clothing, but my favourite so far is Uniqlo UV protection range. 

• Thankyou and yes I'm returning in a couple of weeks for him to check up on it its only a small lesion so he says it's best to keep it under review for the next couple of weeks.

And yes I completely understand that I actually work outside so it's been even more difficult for me when returning to work however I think it's something we just have to adapt too. I think my summer holidays will be very different from now on though. 

And yes I think I've heard about sunsense actually I will definitely give it a try!! One thats small enough to fit in my bag would be ideal!

Ahhh yes I will do I didn't even know you could add anything to your profile, you can tell I'm still navigating my way round

Cheers for that you've been a brilliant help. X 

• Hi, elmyra hope your recovering well from your surgerys. So I've just had my sitiches out too from my WLE I haven't had a SLNB as it was very very early stages. But your totally not on your own there my WLE is still very tight the scar is on my abdomen under my breasts so for me standing up straight Is still feeling very tight Im using dermatix silicone gel which seems to help it a little bit it did with my scar from my biopsy as I had an excisional biopsy and the tightness eased a week after I had the stitches removed. But back to your question no I am not back to my Normal activities just yes so don't worry.

Ahh la Roche posay seems to be a popular one! I have never heard of caudalie but I'll certainly have a shop around!  In regards to clothing some of my walking gear is mountain wear house which might already be uv protected ill have a look thankyou!

• Hi Bluemoon2000,

Glad to hear that yours is early stage and didn't need SLNB.

I'll check out the silicone gel for the scar, thanks.

I think I was naive to think, I'll be running around after a week of two after WLE, so I am trying to enjoy the rest and pampering I get at home at the moment :))

X

• Thankyou I really do hope the results are good for you! And yes it's very good I got it from amazon! And yes I was like that after my biopsy I went back into work the next day and had to leave enjoy the rest I've spent my time off catching up on all my favourite programmes x