Adapting to living with Melanoma- Sun protection

• 55 replies
  • 64 subscribers

Hello, I’m new here and was diagnosed with Melanoma 2 months ago. I’m 32 years old and 3 weeks ago I had a wide excision and lymph node biopsy. Still waiting for the results. 

I’m currently really struggling with how I’m going to adapt to life with Melanoma. I of course was to protect myself from the sun as much as I can but I also don’t want to be scared or anxious about it and I want to live a normal life. 

I know that I need to seek shade, cover up, use suncream and avoid the sun between 11-3 but I’m struggling to what extreme this needs to be taken as in the hot weather it’s very hard to cover up from head to toe as well as shade not always being within control. 

If I’m in the shade do I need to cover up? 

How does this work? 

Any feedback or experience would be very much appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

• Hi Stronggirl 89,

I have been diagnosed with melanoma in August and I am curious to read answers form more experienced members here. 

I've bought some spf 50+ clothing and wear them if I have to go out between 11-4. I am always wearing 50+ Sunscreen on my face and exposed areas even if it is cloudy, trying to seek the shade when out and always wearing a wide bream hat - if nothing, hat makes me more stylish :)

Should admit that I was bit jealous to see people enjoying the sun recently when I had to cover or stay in the shade... 

• I heard the you have melanoma in April this year …. Utterly shocked to the core x 

I am so glad to see the autumn coming in as all summer I have stressed about sunshine , Suncream etc etc.

• Hi Elmyra, 

I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

It’s tough isn’t it. I find that the SPF 50+ clothing is expensive and quite plain. 
    I worry that I’m going to look odd covering myself from head to toe as well as being hot and sweaty. I’ve also never been much of a hat person but I guess I’ll need to become one. 

I’m guessing if I’m in the shade then I don’t need to cover up? Or if I’m covered up then I don’t need to be in the shade? 
    I’m wearing suncream everyday now too, just wish it didn’t feel so greasy on the skin. 

I hope I can find a way to navigate through this and live a reasonably normal life. 

• Hi AmccI, 

I know, I’m also very glad to see autumn coming. I’m someone that feels the cold very easily so the slightest breeze I’ll usually be covering up anyway so I suppose that makes it a bit easier. 

• I have always been so sun sensible ( ginger hair and freckles) but never wore a daily spf moisturiser. I now use this everyday and will continue to do so through the winter months. 

like you I want to live a normal life the thought of  returning to foreign holidays etc absolutely terrifies me ! X 

• Yes it quite tough, I still can't believe it at times. How was your WLE and SLNB experience, if you don't mind me asking? I have op planned next week and bit worried about general anesthesia.

I agree, when covering up and wearing 50+ can be under the sun and if under shade no need to cover up.

Yep, spf clothing is expensive and boring! But I still invested in two cardigans and few polo t-shirts that goes with almost everything.

X

• Ah holidays...

To me holiday means hot country, don't know how I'll do it in The future. I am from Turkey and already worried how I am gonna manage when I go back home for family visits, especially when I don't wanna disclose my situation to everyone.

X

• The holidays chat absolutely has me frantic , Turkey Is one of our go to destinations and right now I feel like I just can’t even contemplate going a foreign holiday ever again x 

very tough on you with having family there xx 

• have you had your WLE and SLNB yet ? X 

• Glad that you enjoyed your holidays there Amccl, 

I think I'll avoid visiting in summer months from now on. Imagine, I've lived there all my life until moved here 10 years ago and never ever used Sunscreen, apart from when I was on the beach. Just had no idea that I had to on daily basis. What an ignorance Disappointed