Adapting to living with Melanoma- Sun protection

• 55 replies
  • 64 subscribers

Hello, I’m new here and was diagnosed with Melanoma 2 months ago. I’m 32 years old and 3 weeks ago I had a wide excision and lymph node biopsy. Still waiting for the results. 

I’m currently really struggling with how I’m going to adapt to life with Melanoma. I of course was to protect myself from the sun as much as I can but I also don’t want to be scared or anxious about it and I want to live a normal life. 

I know that I need to seek shade, cover up, use suncream and avoid the sun between 11-3 but I’m struggling to what extreme this needs to be taken as in the hot weather it’s very hard to cover up from head to toe as well as shade not always being within control. 

If I’m in the shade do I need to cover up? 

How does this work? 

Any feedback or experience would be very much appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

• Not yet Amccl, 

I am scheduled for next week for WLE and SLNB,so bit anxious.

X

• I have no idea how I’m going to deal with going on holiday. I feel like I can’t even think about that at the moment. Until I get the results from my SLNB I am just taking each day at a time and trying to navigate through. 
    Every time I step outside I’m worried about the sun. It’s not a way to live but I hope it gets easier. 

• Hi Stronggirl89 I think I’m in the same camp as everyone else….new to all this and shocked by what it all entails….as a non sun lover but someone who likes being outdoors I’m in a real bind as to what to do when the sun shines and so glad we are getting into Autumn where I can wear my regular cover up clothes….I am just waiting for my results from the WLE & lymph node biopsy and TBH when it was sunny earlier in the week I hid indoors ….not great I know but I think it’s a question of confidence and learning to adapt….I am using a good SPF 5O face cream by La Roche Posay which is not greasy and goes well under makeup…Macmillan should be able to give you some free samples to try of various…the Tilly hats are quite nice although if you are not a hat person I know this can be strange at first….I bought some hoodies from Solbari which have been my absolute mainstay, they are stretchy and lightweight and came within a week from Melbourne….I’m still trying to work out an everyday wardrobe for sunny days and have bought stuff online which I have sent back as it’s been too thin,,,,,can’t imagine ever having a sunny holiday again or perhaps having the confidence to have a sunny holiday again…..

• Sounds like we are all feeling the same regarding the thought of a summer holiday! I also use the la rouche posay cream and it’s my favourite. 

bring on the polo necks , tights , jumpers , hats and scarfs x 

hoping your SLNB brings good news x 

wishing you well with your procedures xx 

• Of course I don’t mind, my WLE and SLNB experience was actually a lot better than I expected. I was very anxious about it and the general anaesthesia but it was absolutely fine. I just felt a bit tired when I came round but I was able to walk to the toilet and have something to eat in no time. I think I was expecting the worse but it didn’t even come close. The WLE was on my arm and SLNB in my armpit. It’s still a bit sore and swollen but it’s bearable. 

Obviously everyone’s experience can be slightly different but I hope this helps. 

Good luck! 

• Thank you Amccl, 

BTW, Mountain warehouse has spf 50+ clothing and it is on 50-70% sale atm if anyone is interested.

X

• Thank you Stronggirl89 for sharing your experience.

Good to hear that it went well and you are feeling OK. Finger crossed you have good news soon.

X

• Thanks Elmyra will take a look x

• Many thanks will have a look x 

• Hi IvysMum, 

Thank you for the recommendations. 
    I’ve thought about buying a sun umbrella from Solbari but you don’t really see people walking around with umbrellas in the sun do you. 
    It might sound silly to worry about what others think but I’ve always been like that and I feel like this is probably one of the worst things that could have happened to me….or anyone of course. 

I’m also single so I worry about how this could affect a potential or future relationship. 
    Who would want to get involved once they hear my diagnosis.