Diagnosis today

• 8 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Can't stop shaking   I have a 1.5mm melonoma.

How do people move forward...I have to go to work tomorrow.

I am seeing a consultant on Monday with a view for a wide excision and node thing , as today I received the news from a dermatologist. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm so sorry that you have just been diagnosed with melanoma. I know exactly how you feel as I had the same diagnosis nearly 5 years ago now. Mine was 1.45mm and ulcerated so I was Stage 2a.

I had both the wide local excision (WLE) and optional sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about these operations.

Between now and Monday write down any questions that pop into your head and take them with you as I can guarantee that you'll forget what you wanted to ask when you see the consultant.

The WLE is standard treatment following a melanoma diagnosis. You will probably have about 2cm of skin taken away all around the original biopsy site. This is to make sure that there are no stray cancer cells left behind. 

The SLNB is not a treatment but a diagnostic tool to see if the melanoma has spread to the nearest lymph node. 

At the moment I know that your diagnosis will be on your mind all the time but for most people that gradually lessons until one day you'll realise that you haven't worried about it for a while. I'm not saying that you'll forget all about it but you learn to live with it and not let it dominate your life.

It would be really helpful  if you could pop something about your journey into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

How are you? I hoping that you're feeling a bit calmer now that you'll have seen your consultant and had the opportunity to discuss the WLE and SLNB. Do you have a date for those surgeries yet?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Good morning latchbrook.

I am going in today for the procedure.

I have calmed down so what from the hysterical woman I was.  Still not going to be a great day out, but big girl pants on and just have to get on with it.

• Hi

I've been out all day so only just picked up this message. I hope you're not feeling too uncomfortable. When I had these procedures I followed the recommended dosage of painkillers which seemed to keep the pain at bay and then after a couple of days I was okay without them.

Look after yourself and remember to take it easy for the next week or so.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

I'm just checking in to see how the WLE and SLNB went and I'm hoping that the wounds are healing nicely and you're not too sore now.

Have you had the results back yet?

Community Champion Badge

• Still on crutches as the excision was on the back of my calf.

Results were back yesterday and it was in my nodes.

Pet scan and ct scan tomorrow and Thursday.

Like everyone else here I am devasted, scared and beyond anxious for my future.

• So sorry to hear your news

Let us know how your scans go and what treatment you're offered.

Although I know it's no consolation, there are lots of people in the group who are Stage 3 who I'm sure will be happy to tell you about their progress. Just start a new post when you're ready and we'll all do all we can to offer support.

Sending a virtual ((hug))

Community Champion Badge

• I had my 2.5mm excised on Tuesday ( eyebrow area) and a sentinel node removal near my ear area. Now I have been given a date of the 5th July before I find out the biopsy results. Feeling like it’s such a long time to wait and the nerves are awful x