Pembrolizumab Side Effects

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 55 subscribers

Between 2018 and 2019  I have had three malignant melanomas removed, one of which involved removing a section of my left ear, Subsequent scans have given me the all clear but I am still being monitored. From June 2019 I began a one year course of Pembrolizumab, which for the first six months was uneventful. Since Dec/Jan time I have developed side effects such as aches and pains across my neck and shoulders and a painful right wrist. I am normally quite active, going for 3 mile jogging 2 or 3 times a week plus some gym workouts. The side effects have now left me fatigued and unable to continue my normal exercise and the shoulder pains become more evident at night-time and sleep getting more and more difficult.

After initial referral  an osteopath, which did not resolve the problem, I was put on a  4 week course of steroids (10mg Prednisolone) which immediately resolved all of the side effects. Unfortunately, 2 weeks after finishing the course, the side effects returned, not always in the same area. I was then put back on steroids and again immediate relief and then the same result on completion of the course. This has been repeated 4 times now with the same results. My consultant has now prescribed  Naproxen 250mg (a non-steroidal medication) ,1 tablet 2 times a day. These have no effect at all.

I am being referred to a Rheumatologist to see if they can find the problem/treatment but since I think the symptoms are Pembrolizumab side effect related, I'm not sure this will resolve anything.

When I read on these forums the really serious problems so many people are suffering, I'm a little hesitant about posting my relatively minor ailments. What I was hoping was to see if anyone else had gone through similar side effects and whether they could be anticipated to be permanent. If so what treatment, if any, was considered to be the most beneficial. I am also aware there is the possibility of other side effects developing but I'm trying to be optimistic that they will not.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read about the side effects you're experiencing since taking Pembrolizumab. It must be very difficult for you with none of the treatments to alleviate your aches and pains lasting for any length of time.

I don't have any personal experience with Pembrolizumab but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. If you type 'Pembrolizumab side effects' into the search bar at the top of the page, you'll see that it brings up lots of previous posts. You could have a read through those and reply to any of the more recent ones if you think the poster might be able to help you further.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Do come back and let us know how it goes with the Rheumatologist.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thanks for your reply. I have checked through the Pembolizumab Side Effects search without much success. Fortunately I do have a couple of close relations within the medical profession who do offer regular support. I'll let you know how things develop and I'll update my profile.

• Hi 

When you say you haven't had much success using the search facility to find previous posts from people with side effects, do you mean you can't find the posts or you can't find posts with people having the same side effects? 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Chris. I was on pembrolizumab for a couple of years and had some of the same side effects. Steroids usually do the trick then back on with it. To reassure you, I've been off it for a year and a half now and no long lasting effects. As a treatment it's amazing if it works, so push through. I've never noticed naproxen doing much either. Most of my rheumamtoid issues came from detramethaxone so it was hard to tell what was actually causing the issue.

All the best with the treatment.

P

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Percival,

Thanks for your reply. How long were you on steroids for and was that continuous.

Since my last posting I've had advice from a relation who happens to be a Rheumatologist and it sounds quite possible the symptoms are related to Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) which is normally treated with steroids. 

Having now discussed this with my oncologist, I'm now back on steroids and still await an appointment with their Rheumatologist.

It all sounds a little more positive as to cause and treatment.

Thanks again

Chris

• FormerMember

Hi Percival, thanks for sharing about the side effects of pembrolizumab. I am on one years adjuvant treatment of pembro and I am experiencing aching tired  joints , pain across my neck, back and arms. I find the local application of a heat pack helpful plus ibuprofen. 
    Any other suggestions?
    Val

• FormerMember

Hi Val,

I also tried the heat packs and Ibruprofen but they were of limited success especially at night time. I'm convinced the best treatment is the use of steroids used at a level to suit your condition. The condition of Polymyalgia Rheumatica seems to exhibit the same symptoms and I believe it is not a permanent condition and normally treated with steroids. If the steroids are carefully monitored and used in conjunction with Omeprazole (to protect the stomach) and supplements for calcium + Vit. D (Admal-D3), their longer term use should not induce other side effects. They work for me.

Chris

• FormerMember

Hi Chris, that was very useful and would seriously consider steroids in the future. It’s good to know I’m not alone in my response to the treatment.

Warm Regards,

Val

• FormerMember

Hi Val,

If you are interested, its worth a look at the Versus Arthritis website article on Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR).It gives a pretty good description of my symptoms and the prescribed treatment.

This has helped me mentally as well as physically, hope it does the same for you.

Regards

Chris

• FormerMember

Thank you very much Chris , I’ll have a look at this site.

Val