Superficial melanoma.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 56 subscribers

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/skin-cancer/f/skin-cancer-forum/200066/superficial-melanoma-diagnosis

I've tried to copy a link from the skin cancer thread to melanoma so people can catch up with my story so far. Hope everyone is OK out there. 

Stevie 

• Welcome to the melanoma group

Your link has worked just fine!

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Well it looks like I've had my letter with the results of my 1cm excision in the house for a while. Could someone try to explain to me the terminology. I will have an appointment for my SNL at some point but be nice to know. 

It's says, result of 1cm We. There is a small area of remaining melanoma in situ, which is actually a precancerous part of the mole that has been completely removed there is an 8mm margin. It then explains what the plastic surgeon did and they removed an additional 1.2cm to make a 2cm margin and a follow up routine in 3 months. I'm hoping that's some positive news to have. 

Stevie 

• Hi Stevie

I'm afraid I don't have any medical training so to be sure what

"result of 1cm We. There is a small area of remaining melanoma in situ, which is actually a precancerous part of the mole that has been completely removed there is an 8mm margin"

means, it would be best to give your SCNS a call.

I'm not sure if it's saying that after the initial excision there is a small area of melanoma in situ remaining, so give your nurse a call as I wouldn't want to misinterpret what it says.

Let us know what she says.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

Were you able to get in touch with your SCNS to find out what the contents of the letter meant?

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Evening, 

Thanks for getting in touch again. I had my sentinal node biopsy results through today and it came back as negative. That is a weight off my shoulders. Not out of the woods completely but gives me a massive boost. 

My scars are healing fine, due to the location of my WLE on my elbow the skin is very tight at times and make certain movements difficult but overall feeling good. 

Stevie 

• Hi

Glad to hear that results you've had back were negative. Are they your WLE results as I thought you were waiting for an appointment for the sentinel lymph node biopsy?

Good news that your wounds are healing well. I was advised to moisturize them with E45 a couple of times a day to both moisturize the skin and also to 'teach' the area to feel again.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

This was for the sentinal node biopsy results. I had an additional WLE and the Sentinal node biopsy done one Friday 29th of May. The results are back 2 weeks after it. The one mentioned about was the original WLE then the plastic surgeon took more away.

Stevie 

• Oh I see. Sorry, I thought when you said that you were waiting for an appointment for your SLNB you meant you were waiting for the operation.

That's terrific news then that you have the all clear from both operations. You'll now be on 3 monthly check-ups for the next 3 years followed by 6 monthly check-ups for two years.

My last check-up was by telephone so don't be surprised if this happens to you too while the pandemic is still on going.

I hope you've had a little celebration Tada

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Stevie,

Congrats on the good news :)

Sorry to jump on your post but I thought maybe you could help. I had my WLE and SLNB last Friday (19th) on upper arm and underarm lymph node. I'm still in a lot of pain, even with paracetamol and ibuprofen. I was just wondering how long your pain lasted? I don't know if it's normal to still be in this much pain.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Kirstie

Ask away that's what the forum is for. 

I had on lower arm by elbow and under armpit. My arm itself was painful for about 3 to 4 days and under my arm the same. I didn't need pain relief tho, it didn't feel to bad. It was more tender where the injections were as I was the first person in the UK apparently to have the procedure done via nerve block rather than general anesthetic. 

I still can't lie on my right side as I get pain under my arm but in terms or day to day pain was 3 to 4 days then a little tender up to 10days when the steristrips came off. 

Hope that helps

Stevie