WLE & SLNB with skin graft on leg

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi all, I am booked for the operation on 4th march and just wondering what others experience of their mobility is after it, should I be putting weight on leg /walking, stairs etc, just so I can prepare myself for what I can/cant do. WLE us on lower right side of calf and groin lymph removal plus skin graft from right thigh.

Thanks x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Untangled2020. I had a WLE and SLNB just over 12 months ago, I didn’t have a skin graft I had a flap mine was also on my calf.  It was probably the first 24 hours they said not to put any weight on it and then I could slowly get around. Stairs were difficult and probably didn’t manage them for about a week. There was quite a few stitches in my calf the SLNB didn’t cause any problems at all.

you can’t drive until all the stitches are out mine was 2 weeks, but actually it wasn’t that bad. I’m not sure about skin grafts as I haven’t had one, hope this helps you a little 

good luck with the op. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I had a WLE on bottom left leg , just over ankle on Friday. 3 nodes taken from groin. I was meant to have a skin graft , and was told I would have a splint to stop it being moved.I was also told that you must keep leg up. But the surgeon managed to close it without , it’s apparently tight. So I’m very limited on movement , not doing stairs. To be honest the painkillers work so well I feel I could do most things when they are in my system. When they aren’t I do feel much less mobile ! The surgeon did say grafts were really difficult at the bottom of the leg , because of the blood supply. Which is why you keep your leg up in line with your heart. He also said it would heal whatever and to be prepared for part of it to break off ? , but that it was really the least important part of the op. My groin aches abit. I was told to shuffle rather than take strides . Not get the dressings wet , it’s all bandaged up and My first check will be Friday. It’s a relief once it’s all done .. wishing you much luck and a speedy recovery. Hopeful my stitches will be out at 2 weeks and I’ll be moving easily by then.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi!! 

im just wondering how you got on with your op as I’m due to have mine next week and mine sounds similar to yourself!

hope your recovering well xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

OP went well on 5th March, the melanoma was on lower outside of calf and the dye injected drained to 2 nodes in my groin so they removed both of them and 2cm of leg with a graft taken from my other front thigh. I got back from the op late eve so stayed in the night and spent that night awake and up every hour having a blue dyed wee ! 

Discharged next day tea time and stayed upstairs mostly for few days with my legs up as much as possible. More pain from graft area initially. 

Unfortunately exactly a week later my daughter (13) came down with appendicitis so spend 2 days  with her in A&E and hospital as she had her appendix out so rest was out of the window ! Anyway all recovering and back home, dressings clinic appt said the graft had slipped a little (not suprised) so have been trying to rest more. The actual wound site is sore and my groin area is sore but manageable with paracetamol.  Now the graft area is itching like mad and hoping the dressings will come off there this week at clinic.

Otherwise I feel well, managing anxiety at the moment with good routine and meditation, healthy food and plenty fluid and lots of crochet going on !! : ) I have appt with the consultant for the results in 1st April  x

• FormerMember

Thank you for your reply Blush my mole was in the same place by the sounds of it lower right calf just in line with my heel about 8cm up. 

Iv been panicking like crazy about how I’m going to get on with a 5 year old that could possibly be at home all day now if the schools are forced to close! I’m hoping to be able to hobble around slightly even the day after the op? Or am I being to optimistic? We’re you given crutches? 
    The surgeon has wrote in my letter that it may be a skin graft or a flap, but I’m thinking it’ll probably be a graft as he swayed more to that when he seen me at the consultation. 

I hope your results come back ok, it’s such a worrying time! I’m due to get mine on 16th April they have sent me a letter already so I’m glad Iv got a date and not say waiting for a letter! 

hope your daughter is also recovering well! 

B x

• FormerMember

Hi Mrs B have you had your OP

I will be honest with you and say I dont know how I would've coped without my hubby as the furthest I walked was to the bathroom and back for a good few days. Everything was sore. I didnt have crutches no. The my daughter got took in for appendix and I had no choice but to walk but it did hurt and the wound bled and I am hoping the skin graft hasn't slipped more. The nurses just said be guided by your body, move a little, rest a lot. It helped me to meal prep for a few days before I had the op so u had soups and meals made for a few days.

I hope you can get some help with your 5yr old and you are able to rest a bit. The skin graft site is more painful than the rest at first. X

• FormerMember

Hi, thanks again for replying! I’m due in on Friday 20/3 Iv spoken to the secretary and she said it’s all still going ahead as planned.

i have meal prepped as it goes and stocked up on essentials. I do have a 15yr old also so she can help out if schools are off. 

im hoping to bed rest then for a few days and see how I go. But thank you for taking the time to reply it’s much appreciated and I do feel a bit more at ease about the situation! I will update once Iv had the surgery I guess! 

hope your doing well! B xx

• FormerMember

Hiya, Iv had the op it went well. 
    I was fortunate enough to be the last surgery they will do now they are closing the theatres to be used for trauma and life threatening surgery only. Plastic will have only 1 day a week I do routine surgery. 

I didn’t have a skin graft but I don’t know if Iv had a flap? The nurses on the ward had no idea? They advised to ring the surgeon secretary on Monday? 

They were in a bit of a tizz wazz as they had just done handover.

im not in any pain yet it’s still numb surprisingly!! But when I hobble around like upstairs to downstairs it bleeds. 
    the groin but seems ok! 

Xx

• FormerMember

Hi !

you must feel relieved now it’s all done. Take it as steady as you can. I could stay downstairs so did so for a week. 4 weeks on I’m just back close to normal. Gutted now though everything else in the world isn’t. Results yesterday can backs clear. Fingers crossed the same for you x

• FormerMember

I do feel relieved! 

aww lovely news on your clear results!! My appointment for results is 16th April hopefully that appointment will go ahead! Or failing that she may phone me if it’s clear! 

Iv been up

and about this morning pottering around but it started bleeding again so I was summoned back to bed! The groin numbness is wearing off slightly so that is now feeling a bit achey. 

i wasn’t given much information yesterday on discharge wether I need to keep the area dry or when I can get showered? I was given no other dressings? Just told I have an appointment back at plastics outpatient next Friday? I don’t know what that appointment is for? I was basically given a sandwich and sent on my way with some dyhydracodeine and an appointment for next Friday xx