Mole removed by shave biopsy, now itchy and grown back

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 55 subscribers

I had a mole removed on my back 5 years ago, which turned out to be melanoma. Since then I have been very cautious with my skin. Last year in April I had another mole removed on my back which was a dyslastic mole? and nothing more was done. This was a shave biopsy. The site where it was cut out I thought was taken a long time to heal, its has been itchy over the year and when I looked at it I always thought it was a scab. However today I realized it was actually a new mole that had formed/returned. I am a little bit worried as it is a little bigger than the original mole and has been itchy (but I took no notice of this as I thought it was part of the healing process this whole time) stupid i know.. Has anyone experienced this or can give me some informaton/advice?

• Hi 

Once you've had melanoma it's always worrying when you notice a change to your skin or a mole grow back where one had been removed.

I'm not sure if you're still under the care of the dermatology department or if you're now past the 5 years of check-ups. If you haven't been discharged then it would be a good idea to speak to your SCNS today so that she can arrange for you to be checked. If you have been discharged then you'll need to make an appointment to see your GP who can then refer you to dermatology if necessary.

Looking back through your previous posts I noticed that you were asking in January if you should get a mole on your foot checked and I wondered how you'd got on with that.

When you have a minute could you pop something about your journey into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes I go to a dermatologist every 3 months still and I managed to get an appointment next Tuesday although the wait time is horrible. The fact it's been itching scares me.

With the mole on my foot, everything was fine with that, it was just a harmless freckle that I freaked out over.

I will update my profile.

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Just for those wondering, I went to my dermatologist and she told me that the mole was the root from when she did the shave biopsy, and the itch is the scar tissue.

• Thanks for letting us know . I assume that as the shave biopsy was negative for melanoma the dermatologist is not worried that the mole has grown back.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.