Immunotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi im new here

Last may I was told I had advanced melanoma in my neck. I had surgery to remove it and everything went well. As I had to symptoms I declined treatment and was scanned every 6 months. 
I had a scan in February which showed it was back in a different area. I had surgery last week and will be starting immunotherapy next week. 

Firstly, it looks like my wound could be infected and may need antibiotics. Has anyone had antibiotics and still received treatment? 

im due to fly to America 5days after my first lot of treatment for 3 weeks, so i can’t really delay it a week if I need antibiotics! 

secondly - realistically how long after does symptoms start. They told me I should be fine for my holiday as most of the time symptoms start after the 3rd round. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your melanoma has recurred and that while waiting to start immunotherapy you are concerned that your surgery wound has become infected.
    I haven't had immunotherapy, so can't help with your question about how long after having treatment are you likely to get any side effects but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. There are lots of people in this group who are on immunotherapy and I'm sure one of them will pop on soon to share their experiences with you now that your post has been 'bumped' back to the top of the discussion list by me replying to you.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I've got melanoma in my lung my bowel area which has now shrunk.i have had lots of infections and you may find treatment is stopped for a week or two until you heal.this is happening to me this week it's nothing to worry about..I am also off on my holidays tomorrow and been on holidays before and after treatment and I've been fine. When going abroad stay out of sun,drink plenty of water and listen to your body x

• Hi Ejr23.  Immunotherapy affects everybody differently.   Some people get no or very few symptoms and some get really bad symptoms.   You can get these at any time during your treatment and up to a year afterwards.   I was absolutely fine after my first one, apart from Some itching but I got pneumonitis (inflammation of the lung after the second one in October and I am still suffering now.  The reaction was so bad that I have been told I cannot return to treatment.   I hope that you sail through with no problems at all, but unfortunately that wasn't the case for me.  Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.