Recurrence Melanoma Skin cancer

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi everyone, last January I had a evolving and growing mole on my right flank removed for biopsy, and a month later at the follow up appointment at the hospital I was informed that it was melanoma stage 1. This obviously hit me like a tone of bricks, but had been reassured by both the medical team and the macilllan nurse assigned to me that it was early stages of melanoma and was highly treatable. In March I had my 2nd procedure (WLE) to remove a wider margin of skin to further reduce the risk of any melanoma being left behind. Obviously waiting for the 2nd results from the biopsy was a worrying time, however last week I received the biopsy results which stated that there was no residual melanoma found in the skin taken. This is good news, however I will be seen by my dermatologist for the next year to check me over. While i am currently clear from skin cancer at the back of my mind it I still worry at times that it may return. Is this a usual response? Also have heard that skin cancer survivors are at higher risk of getting a form of skin cancer in the future? Is this true and if so what are the statistics of this? 

• Hi  

That's great to read that you've recently had the results of your WLE and that you've been told there was no melanoma found!

I doubt that there's anyone here who doesn't worry that melanoma might recur at some point and check-up time can feel a bit daunting. However with time I've found that I worry less, although I still follow all the advice about being safe in the sun.

You are right that dermatologists will tell you that having one skin cancer means that you are more at risk of getting a second. Since being diagnosed with melanoma 8 years ago I have had a BCC removed about 3 years ago. I'm not aware of any statistics that prove this but you could post your question in the ask a nurse section of the online community to see if they're able to furnish you with statistics around this.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"