Split skin graft -vs- full thickness graft

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi

I had a full thickness graft (FTSG) 9 years ago which healed very successfully. Melanoma recurred at the edge of the original graft 4 years ago which was removed with a regular WLE .. no graft. Melanoma has now recurred again at the opposite edge of the original graft and I've just had a split skin graft (SSG).

Anybody had a SSG? The skin from the donor site was so thin, the skin removed was much thicker so surely there will be a big dent in my foot? It's all bandaged up just now so I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks x

• Hello again   Another unanswered post. Again I can't answer this for you as I have a different cancer, however by me replying your post will be returned to the top of the forum and I do hope you receive some replies.

As your question is a medical one you could always ask one of our Macmillan Nurses and here's the link

Ask a Nurse 

I hope this helps.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Wanda

I hope you do not mind me responding to this post and your previous post as I had a different type of cancer to you. By doing so hopefully it will bring your post to the attention of someone who has more experience of split kin grafts. 

It must have been frustrating to have a recurrence of your melanoma after it has previously been successfully treated. 

Am not sure how long you will need to be bandaged up for or whether the dressing will need to be changed but perhaps the best person to ask would be your CNS. They would be able to tell you what to expect. 

I hope that the skin graft heals well and that you are not in too much discomfort.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi again    

Had the dressing changed today so I saw the graft. There's definitely a dent compared with the FTSG. The nurse said it will fill out a bit but will always have a dent. I'm thinking a new pair of shoes should make me feel a bit better about that .. when I can actually get shoes on again ;)