Stage 3a melanoma.

• 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

After being told there was a concern following a dermascopy on 31st January, I was diagnosed on 15th March with Stage 3a melanoma.  This was following two skin excisions.  I’ve just had a wide local excision and sentinel node removal x 2 (through the same wound in my right chest).  I’m now waiting for results again.  Does anyone have any idea of potential next steps?  This has all been a whirlwind…lots of love to you all. 

• Hi Scrambles,

I was diagnosed Stage 3 nodular malignant melanoma in early 2021 after SNLB/WLE due to melanoma development on my right shoulder. After surgery I was sent for a PET-scan that revealed tumor development in my lower left lung. My oncologist immediately initiated the immunotherapy one-year regimen (Intravenous every 6 weeks) with Pembroluzimab (Keytuda).  3 years post-treatment I am NDE/cancer-free.

The Pembroluzimab affects everyone differently. I (65/m) experienced autoimmune colitis and skin rashes/irritation, but many have more severe reactions, as you may read about on this site, so be prepared for uncertainty in that area. Immunotherapy was very effective for me, as well as many others. I never missed a day of work or any family events durong my treatment. During the course of my treatment I had blood work done at every 6-week  Pembro treatment as well as semi-annual PET-scans.

I was very scared when first diagnosed, but I learned to trust the process as I went along. Melanoma treatment has progressed by leaps and bounds in recent years. Do yourself a favor and do not consult Dr. Google, as old statistics have not caught up to recent advancements.

I wish you nothing but the best,

Dave

• Thank you! That’s really helpful and I’m so glad you’re now clear.

I find it interesting how I was told 3a prior to my WLE and sentinel node removal.  I have not had any scans, but I assume these next set of results will determine next steps.  My consultant did mention the possibility of drug treatment.  My father had radiotherapy, chemotherapy and immunotherapy- and he did well on all 3.  As you say, and my consultant also highlighted this, science has moved on dramatically in the last 4 years.  I’m still in a bit of shock/denial but got to be positive.

Thanks again and take care 

Sam 

• HI,

I was diagnosed witha modular melanoma in my back in feb 23, I had a wider incision, scans (all clear on organs and brain). I started immunotherapy immediately, no huge side effects, I just get very tired for a week after treatment and some headaches.

Immunotherapy is going well for me, I have just found another lump on my back though which is being removed and tested Saturday, I'm getting used to waiting for results now! I finish my treatment in August and have full scans every 3 months and will have for another 5 years.

It is scary but you are in good hands, Immunotherapy is new but its used much more widely in the states where they have had great sucess with it. I'm thankful I didnt develop it 5 years ago as there would have been no treatment!