Advice regarding recent biopsy

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi,

I was referred to dermatology clinic regarding a recent (suspected) squamous cell lesion on my chest.

The dermatologist agreed that it was likely a basal or squamous cell carcinoma and referred me further for biopsy. 
He also checked a mole on my back, got a second opinion, and further referred me for biopsy on this -  ‘just to be sure’. 
He said the SCC biopsy would have a margin of around 5+mm around the lesion. But the mole would be only around 2mm. 

I had my biopsy three days ago. The surgeon said that I need to be very careful with the (mole) biopsy on my back as it was a big hole and was excised “down to the muscle layer”.

I wasn’t expecting this - but foolishly didn’t ask any questions. I am now concerned that the extent of the biopsy indicates a significant concern and possibly a significant melanoma.

The result is not expected for a month. I just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on this? 
(I’m fine with bad news - I was diagnosed with an aggressive stage 3 prostate cancer in 2019)

many thanks  

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read about your recent biopsies and that you are now worried. I have had a different type of cancer so I hope you don't mind me replying. By responding it will place your post back at the top where it may be seen by more members of the melanoma group. It may be worth giving the Macmillan helpline a ring and asking to speak to one of the nurses. They work Mon to Fri. This is the link to contact https://www.macmillan.org.uk/about-us/contact-us

It may be worth speaking to your GP or ringing the clinic that did your biopsies for more information. Your Consultants secretary may also help in getting information. Contact numbers will be on any patient letters you have. Hope you get some answers.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• That's brilliant. I think I will ring the helpline and ask to speak to one of the nurses.
    In reality, I do know that I must just sit tight and await the results. I do also understand that the Macmillan Nurses won't want to speculate - and I wouldn't want to put them in that position.

Thank you. I really do appreciate the reply.