New diagnosis

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

I was diagnosed with at least a stage 2c nodular melanonma last week. It was a bit of a shock I was not expecting it I had come from work as work in the same hospital and was expecting to go back to work afterwards which I did though they advised against I did not want to go home to an empty house and scare myself with goggle. I am having ct scans this week and he said they would be referred to a bigger hospital and depending on the results I would have the wide area biopsy and the limp nodes checked. I just hope it has not spread. It is on my shoulder my friend noticed it when swimming in September time but normal sized and that just thought it was a mole. Then the end of November I knocked it and it would not stop bleeding had to cover all the time with plaster so went to doctor who told me it was a wart and gave me antibiotics as leaking green fluid but did refuse to dermatologist. I saw that dermatologist in another gp practice at the start of January. By then it had grown no longer covered by normal plasters and still leaking green fluid and always bleeding. He said melanoma was one possibility so referred to hospital under 2 week wait but they were busy so not seen for another month and in that time it carried on growing. It was taken off by shave biopsy that day so no stictches but by 2 days later back to the go the wound was infected. They swabbed it and gave me antibiotics and a week later found out what was causing the infection so stared the right antibiotics and wound is finally healing. I just hope it has not spread . He said it was good my ct scan of chest was clear in October when they were investigating blood clots to the lungs and heart issues as they found a heart murmur. I have been suffering from shortness of breath and exhaustion for a year now and have been diagnosed with long Covid I hope that is what it is and not the cancer. All I can do is have the tests and hope for the best that it has not spread. I have also been loosing weight but planned weight loss. I go to slimming world few pounds a week which is what you expect. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've been diagnosed with melanoma and I can understand what a shock it is when you're not expecting it. 

I doubt that there's anyone on this forum who hasn't worried that their melanoma might have spread and I know that any little thing I noticed about my body I thought meant a potential spread. In reality it hadn't spread, thankfully, but it took a while to get back to not worrying about every little ache or pain.

I've had the wide local excision (WLE) and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) so happy to share my experiences with you if you want me to.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your CT scan results.

Anne

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"