Melanoma stage 1b - questions re SLNB

• 54 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum Wave 

I was diagnosed with stage 1B melanoma at the start of January 24. I’ve been given the option of having a SLNB and was in two minds whether or not I should go ahead with it until last week when I had my consultation with the plastics consultant and was told there is suspicion of lymph vascular invasion (I wasn’t told this when I was first diagnosed).

After finding this out, I’m going ahead with the SLNB. The consultant said I should get my appointment through for the end of March but I’m now concerned about the melanoma spreading within that time whilst I wait. 

My question is has anyone paid to have a SNLB done privately and if you have, how much did it cost? Also, how long did you wait between having your consultation and getting the biopsy done?

I’m a bit confused as I thought stage 1B was an early diagnosis and there was no sign that the melanoma had spread.

TIA

• Hello, hope you are doing ok. I have just joined this forum having been diagnosed with melanoma stage 1b a few weeks ago after a biopsy.

Like others I have been going crazy imagining the cancer has already spread and that the wait for surgery is taking too long. Unlike others here who have been unable to find a way of getting SLNB done privately, I am aware this is offered in London - Nuffield Health/Wimbledon Parkside. I have no health insurance but I saw the plastic surgeon there on Tuesday  (the same one allocated to me by the NHS) and I’m waiting on costs for the full works - melanoma excision, skin graft, SLNB. But she’s provisionally scheduled me in for 16 April. It’s helpful to see others’ timelines - given it’s taken 2 months to get to this stage since GP referral I don’t think going private will save more than a few weeks in my case so I may stick with NHS.

Best wishes to everyone going through this. 

• Hi Cerys30, hope you’re doing ok! I know exactly how you’re probably feeling right now after getting your results! I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry too much and just know you’re in good hands now. Also take it from me, don’t google too much! I made that mistake and it only adds to the worry. What were the results on your pathology report like breslow depth etc? 

• Thank you, mysticdaisy. Agree with you about not googling too much. I’m still a bit ignorant about melanoma - all I can recall is first it was 1.9mm then the consultant told me 1.5mm - but doesn’t affect the next stage re surgery. I’m finding it hard to stay positive, I’m afraid - feel like my life is being cut short, and scared of a future of endless hospital appointments and treatments…

• Hi HF2024, I had to stay in hospital overnight but I was told this when I was booked in for surgery so it wasn’t a surprise. I was told by my consultant that the WLE and SNLB should be completed within 12 weeks of diagnosis under the current guidelines so I assume that they feel that this is an acceptable waiting time for a reason

• Some days you will worry more than others. Since I had my results I’ve had some days where it hasn’t crossed my mind as much and then other days where it does. I’m also pregnant at the moment so I’m trying to focus on that instead! For that reason I can’t have the SLNB as I can’t go under general anaesthetic so they’ve offered me ultrasounds instead and I’ll still be having the WLE. Good luck with your surgeries! I hope everything comes back clear. 

• Hi Mystic Daisy. So sorry you're going through all of this whilst pregnant. I hope you're doing as well as possible in the circumstances xx

• Hi Wave 

I had my SLNB and wide local excision done yesterday. Everything went well and I didn’t need to stay in hospital overnight (delighted when the doctor took ld me this). Felt nauseous after the GA but this is totally normal and I’ve had a GA before for something different and felt the same then so it was to be expected. The WLE was done on my thigh and lymph nodes were taken from my groin so my leg is sore but again to be expected! Should get the results in 3-4 weeks.

For anyone still to have the procedure done, I know it’s difficult but try and not worry about it.

xx

• Hi HF2024. Glad to hear you've had your procedures done and are feeling OK. Hoping your recovery is a smooth one and results positive.

Still no appointment for mine so still anxiously waiting. 

Take care xx

• Hi! 

I was diagnosed with pt3a malignant melanoma - initially the NHS did put me on a expedited pathway but we also have Bupa and even the NHS consultant advised me to use this service as it would be much quicker and they felt it was quite urgent. 

My initial excisions (two removed), the WLE and Sentinel node removal and biopsy (they removed two lymph nodes) were all covered by Bupa, although we had to pay the excess.  I believe the WLE and sentinel nose surgery was approximately £600-700.  I had the surgery nearly two weeks ago.  I had a call yesterday evening from my consultant to tell me that there was no further evidence of cancer - which was such an amazing thing to hear!  I am so glad we didn’t cancel Bupa, as we nearly did, as I would still be waiting despite being told stage 3. I am feeling very grateful and lucky.  Things can turn around sometimes. 

Lots of love to you all. 

• That's great to read that your WLE and SLNB have come back clear  

I just wanted to pop on to help clarify your staging in case someone else who reads this message and is pT3a comes along.

Melanoma staging is complicated and this link will give you more information. The stage pT3a doesn't mean that you are Stage 3, but refers to the Breslow thickness which measures how deep the melanoma is. If you are T3 then this means that your tumour was between 2 and 4mm thick. The 'a' means that it wasn't ulcerated and would have been 'b' if it was ulcerated.

This pathological stage, which is what the 'p' at the start of pT3a stands for, then translates to an actual stage of Stage 2. Stage 2 melanomas cover those that are 1 to 2mm thick and ulcerated or, as in your case, thicker than 2mm but not ulcerated.

I told you it was complicated!

Anne

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"