Acral Letiginous malignant melanoma

• 26 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I was diagnosed with this type of melanoma several years ago.  Apparently it is quite rare and I am not aware of anyone else who has this type of melanoma.    The melanoma appears on the palms of the hands or the soles of the feet.  I have it on my right foot.    I have had numerous skin grafts over the years but it still reappears either within the graft or on the edges.  I believe there has not been a lot of research into this type of cancer because of its rarity.   Normally with melanoma a wide excision would be performed,.  The cancer is on my big toe , so it is not possible for the surgeon to perform a wide excision.  There has been talk of amputating the toe but I have resisted that as it would seriously affect my balance and mobility.

i wonder if anyone might have any knowledge or experience of this type of skin cancer?

Lillibet

• Hi Lillibeth, please keep me updated on how your appointment goes in April. No results yet but after speaking to cancer nurse I think it’s going to be at least 6 weeks. Just a quick question if you don’t mind, did you ever get slight traces of fresh blood on your dressings when changing them. Just noticed it, not particularly worried as wound looks lovely and healthy But wondering if this is a normal thing as it heals or whether my foot is telling me I might have been overdoing it a bit. 

Thanks for all your help and support, it’s really helping me get through this x

• Hi Potte.   Good to hear from you.  I will let you know how it goes when I see the consultant. I am expecting he will probably suggest another skin graft.   Please don’t think that will happen with you, sounds like you’ve had a proper wide excision, which they can’t do on a big toe!  It’s 10 years since my diagnosis  - find it hard to believe the melanoma is still in situ after all that  time.  I have been feeling very tired so saw my GP recently and she has arranged for me to have a ct scan in a weeks time to check if there is evidence of the cancer having spread.  

I am keeping my fingers  and toes crossed for you to get good news when your results come through.   Re the bleeding you are seein, I often saw a little blood and some oozing from the wound, especially after the stitches were taken out.  I sometimes saw the nurse at my GP practice and she checked the wound and changed the dressing. Doing that might help put your mind at rest?   will you have another appointment at the hospital to discuss your results when they come in?  
    Take it easy if you can and be kind to yourself
    Kissing heart

• Hi Lillibeth, have you had your CT scan done yet, so hoping for good results for you, 10 years is a long time to have been dealing with this. I have taken all dressings off of the graft now as advised and it appears to be drying up nicely. I still look like  something has taken a large bite out of my foot but I’ll live with that, it’s better than having cancer. Fortunately my results have come back as clear and the follow ups will now take place, no idea what that entails but will now be checking very closely for anything abnormal. 

Please keep me updated re your scan and consultants appointments, I have everything crossed for you. Take care of yourself, I will be thinking of you x

• Hi Potte,  that is fantastic news about your results !  I am so pleased for you.  It must be such a relief  to know it has not spread.  I’m sure your skin graft will settle down nicely, and , as you say, it’s wise to keep an eye out for any new ‘moles’ and get them checked out.  I expect you will get regular appointments  maybe like me every 3 months to start, then every six months.   Are you seeing a dermatologist at the hospital?

i had my ct scan on Sunday.   (I guess they are trying to catch up working weekends).  MyGP should get the results in the next couple of weeks.   It will be a relief if the results are clear.I see the dermatologist on 22nd April.

It’s good to talk to you Potte, it’s been quite a lonely journey not knowing anyone else who has this cancer.  I ll let you know when I have the results of the scan.  Stay well x

• Hi Lillibeth, glad you have had your CT, fingers crossed for a positive outcome, please keep me updated. I’m due to see a dermatologist at the end of April. Please don’t feel lonely, I’ve really appreciated your support as well so let’s stay in touch and continue to help each other as well as any others in the same position as we are. Take care of yourself x

• Hi Potte ,

That is so nice of you, I will definitely stay in touch and support you in any way I can.  And as you say, we can help others in the same position. It is so frightening for anyone who gets a cancer diagnosis.

i will let you know when I get my scan results.   And please let me know how your appointment with the dermatologist goes.  (I hope they confirm that there will be regular check ups for your peace of mind.)

speak soon, take care Lillibet x