Acral Letiginous malignant melanoma

• 26 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I was diagnosed with this type of melanoma several years ago.  Apparently it is quite rare and I am not aware of anyone else who has this type of melanoma.    The melanoma appears on the palms of the hands or the soles of the feet.  I have it on my right foot.    I have had numerous skin grafts over the years but it still reappears either within the graft or on the edges.  I believe there has not been a lot of research into this type of cancer because of its rarity.   Normally with melanoma a wide excision would be performed,.  The cancer is on my big toe , so it is not possible for the surgeon to perform a wide excision.  There has been talk of amputating the toe but I have resisted that as it would seriously affect my balance and mobility.

i wonder if anyone might have any knowledge or experience of this type of skin cancer?

Lillibet

• Hi Lillibeth, have been told that wide excision and sentinel node biopsy will be done on 15th February. I’m doing ok most of the time, nervous I must admit but will also be glad to get it over with. I think it’s the fear of the unknown more than anything else, I worry about the results obviously. How are you doing x

• Hi Potte it’s good to hear that you have a date now for the wide excision on your foot. It must be nerve wracking for you, I do remember how nervous I was.  Do you know if they are doing a skin graft on your foot?  I ve had several skin grafts now and the skin was taken from my inside upper arm.  I found the local anaesthetic injection quite uncomfortable (the consultant gave me a good tip - wiggle the toes of your other foot - sounds silly but it seems to take your mind off it!). After that I felt nothing during the procedure.  
    I was told important to put the foot up in the weeks following and protect it while it is healing.

I'm doing ok, waiting to see my consultant in a couple of months.  Although the melanoma keeps coming back on my big toe I’m still being told there’s no evidence of spread elsewhere.(after 9 years I m not sure about that, but I feel fine)

Got to stay positive!   Contact me anytime.  

• Hi Lillibeth, good to hear you are doing ok.

Yes I am having a skin graft, apparently from the inside of my thigh. I am very very nervous. Part of me wants it over and done with and the other part just wants it to go away.  Not looking forward to the epidural either, think I’d rather just have a local like the first time around. Feedback about the procedure and the X-ray has been really positive on here and that has helped a lot, although like you the melanoma for quite a few people appears to come back.

Like you I will try to stay positive and thanks for all your support, it’s really appreciated.

• Hi Potte.  It’s the waiting that is the worst, but not too much longer for you.  I’ve had 4 skin grafts, only once I had a general anaesthetic.  The other three have been local.  I have been so nervous each time beforehand.  Last time I contacted the consultant beforehand and told him about my increasing levels of anxiety.   He agreed to give me something to help me cope ( a nurse gave me a pill about 20 minutes before the surgery. )It definitely helped me to relax and made me quite drowsy.

ive not had sentinel node biopsy. Can you perhaps speak to someone at the hospital to ask why you are having an epidural?  You could also tell them your are really anxious about the procedure.  Sometimes there is a MacMillan nurse at the hospital who you can ask.  I’m sure you will be in good hands.  Take care.

• Hi Lillibeth. Had the wide excision last Thursday on right foot and skin graft site on left thigh so a little uncomfortable at the moment. Back to hospital on Thursday to check wound. Pain is more stinging than pain but paracetamol seems to be doing the trick. Did you get any stabbing pains after your surgery, my understanding is that this can be caused by nerves in foot

• Hi Potte It’s good to hear that your wide excision has been done.  I hope the process wasn’t too uncomfortable for you.   Afterwards,   I found the skin graft site more painful than the foot.  ( Im not sure where your melanoma was on your foot? ).           I expect that like me you have been told to keep the foot up as much as you can.   I had some sharp little pains in the foot too but I dont think they re anything to worry about.  Do you have stitches that need to come out in a couple of weeks?   And did they also check a lymph node or lymph nodes.?   Take it easy as much as you can. Kissing heart

• Hi Lillibeth, melanoma was on the bottom of my foot and the whole procedure wasn’t too bad. I found the nuclear X-ray harder as they had to inject the dye in the bottom of my foot and that really was painful as there is no excess flesh to inject into. I’m not sure whether the stitches are coming out this week or next but foot is really padded out. They have done the lymph node check and results could be up to 6 weeks but I just want to concentrate on getting back on my feet at the moment. You’re right the skin graft site is definitely more painful. 
    Hope you are all ok at the moment and that it is positive news when you see the consultant. Thanks for the support Kissing heart

• Hi Potte Just wondering how you are doing.  Hope the foot and the donor site are starting to heal now.  I expect it will be a little while before you can put a shoe on? Hope you are doing ok.Kissing heart

• Hi Lillibeth, had the procedure 3 weeks ago and doing ok. My only issue is the dissolvable stitches at the edge of my foot are refusing to budge and are making walking very sore. I’m back at the hospital tomorrow so hopefully they will be able to remove them and make it more comfortable. The donor scar is very itchy as well but I’m getting about, even did a chair yoga session last week. I’ll be glad when I can get a shoe on and walk normally again but I’m told that won’t be until at least 6 weeks post op. No results as yet but trying not to worry at the moment just concentrating on getting back on my feet. How are you? 

• Hi Potte it’s good to hear that you are mending.  Hope they took those stitches out that were bothering you.  I know it’s frustrating not to be able to wear a shoe for a while.    While there was padding on the wound I’ve come up with all sorts of temporary solutions   - like cutting a cheap shoe at the front to make it wider.  One time I managed to find a pair of fluffy boot slippers that were really wide and just about passed for real boots when I went out.  I expect you will be doing your best to protect it - for me that means hobbling along for some weeks after the surgery.  One of my friends calls me ‘hop-along!   
    Good to hear you are keeping moving - I try to do yoga too.  I’m also a keen gardener - can’t wait for the spring so I can get out there.

I have my date now for next hospital appointment in mid-April.

Keep well , Lillibeth Kissing heart