Melanoma

• 3 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi

i have read some of the discussions here and it’s making me more concerned about my partners diagnosis. He has had the mole removed and is waiting for the Sentinel node biopsy, WLE and scans but the pathological staging is PT4b and it’s 4.2mm … is this bad?

His op was in August and his next appointment is end October … this wait seems too long 

I myself had cancer last year and I know that getting things seen to quickly is very important 

• Hi  

Waiting is always a horrible time but, don't forget, your partner has already had the cancer removed and the WLE is a "mopping up exercise" (my SCNS's description) to make sure no stray cells were left behind. As you might already be aware the sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) isn't treatment but is used to see if any cells have made it to the nearest lymph node. 

You can have a look at the staging of melanoma if you click here. The pathological staging your partner has been given is also called the Breslow thickness as it measures how far the melanoma cells have grown down into the layers of skin. Obviously the less deep the melanoma has grown the better, but a PT1a can just as easily send cells off to the lymph nodes as a PT4b.

Easier said than done, I know, but try not to worry too much about the depth right now. Melanoma staging is complicated and your partner is currently Stage 2, just like me. Although my melanoma wasn't as deep as your partner's it had ulcerated which moved me from Stage 1 to Stage 2. I had a WLE and SLNB and no further treatment was needed and I remained at Stage 2.

It would be great if you could put something about your partner's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi I waiting for slnb results mines was 2mm results is worst than the surgery I had mine done in August too. I'm waiting for appointment they said within  next 2 weeks but have not heard anything yet.