FDG Positive???

• 3 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi all

I am looking for some advice, I'll give some background first Slight smile

Diagnosed stage 3 malignant melanoma in Sept 2018, birth mark above left buttock developed melanoma, spread to my lymph nodes in groin, managed 19/26 rounds of Nivolumab immunotherapy. CT scans ceased after 3 years.

Second melanoma diagnosed in October 2022, lump was in scar of original WLE, I found it applying moisturiser. This was excised and I was moved onto 6 monthly CT scans. 

CT completed in July found questions around my ileocolic lymph nodes in abdomen on the right so I was scheduled for a PET scan. This was completed in August and I was discussed at MDT yesterday. 

I have been beside myself with worry so one of the skin cancer nurses said they would call me straight after MDT and this is what I have been told:

My PET scan has come back with lesions in my back(?) on the right, and the lesions are FDG Postive - but the nurse stated she did not know what that meant. I am being referred to the gastro intestinal team - but can't tell me what they are going to do, and I have to have another scan in 6 weeks to check for change.

Does anyone know what FDG Positive lesions means? Does this mean the lesions are likely to be cancerous?

Will my consultant still follow up with me properly?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sara xx

•  

Hi Sara and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry I can't help with what 'FDG Positive lesions' mean as that isn't something that I've experienced. I did do a search in this group to see if anyone else has mentioned this but drew a blank I'm afraid.

As your CNS doesn't know what this means, it would probably be best to phone your consultant's secretary to find out if you will be having an appointment between now and when you have your appointment with the gastro intestinal team/scan in 6 weeks so that you can understand the implications and what possible treatment you might be having.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and any treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Sara – I think only your team will be able to say what this means for you personally. My understanding of FDG is that it refers to the radioactive tracer, so if something is FDG positive then there has been an uptake of the tracer, which may mean cancer. However, there can be other explanations and the context in which I have come across an FDG uptake is actually for another reason. I can offer no insight into your current situation sorry. Sending hugs. xx

• For example, inflammation can lead to FDG uptake too. But I think there are other benign causes too.