Bcc after melanoma

• 4 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi a year ago i had succesful treatment for a stage 1a (0.3) melanoma. All was well and i now have 3 monthly skin checks for the next 5 years. At my last skin check at the end of November the Doc said i had a bcc on my back. He went to great lengths to tell me it was not melanoma. The appointment to have this removed is March. This worries me as my first lesion was not deemed to be melanoma but turned out to be the case. I have tried to contact the skin cancer nurses but as yet they have not got back to me. I am just worried in case it is melanoma and it will have been left from November to March. The doc did say that once you have had one type of skin cancer you can get another (although he did stress he was not referring to melanoma).

My father and brother both have had bcc and are both fine. Its just the fact that i have had melanoma that concerns me.

Am I over thinking this. My anxiety has been awful.

Many thanks for any feedback.

• Hi  

I’m in a similar situation. Diagnosed with a 1b melanoma and another in situ in February. A BCC was also found at that time on my leg plus another at my latest skin check in October. I’d previously had 3 other BCCs before the melanoma diagnosis. I suspect as both types of cancer are likely caused by UV damage, we will be more susceptible to both but I would speak to SCNS who should be able to ally your fears.  I’m just grateful we’re being closely monitored.  My latest BCC was also on my back which I would never have spotted.  Take care xx

• Thank you for your reply. I am 64 now but spent much of my youth outside in the sunshine. I did a lot of sport so was constantly outside. 

I think I just got into a flap as I had got my head around the melanoma diagnosis and treatment and then they found the bcc. It is a worry as I would have never known it was there. 

It does worry me how we will cope once our 5 years monitoring is up. 

• Hi Boo123, legitimate question re the 5 year plan and I believe that you'll still be scanned and checked just less frequently.  You can access the latest guidelines on the government website plus if you type in "NICE latest melanoma treatment guidelines" you should be able to look up the correct guidelines for your specific stage of disease . X

• Thank you will have a look.