Melanoma New Member

• 6 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi all my name is Paul I am new to the group and not sure what help I want but thought I would try and reach out here to see if it can do anything for me.I have recently been diagnosed with melanoma on my neck It’s all been a bit of a world wind to be honest and I have had time to think about what’s happening / happened. In September of this year my barber noticed a mole ( black mole ) on the back on neck a long story short I went to my GP who looked at it and told me he was concerned and referred me to the local dermatologist at Salford Royal which I attended in November they told me it was Skin Cancer and it was melanoma and I urgently need to get it cut out in theatre which did. It came back after two weeks that it was staged 1B and i now needed to be referred to Christies hospital for further treatment. On the 6th of December I had had my Lymph nodes taken for biopsies and a further cut where my previous mole was removed. I came home and in lots of pain and infections in both areas. I now have to wait six weeks for the results it’s a nightmare. I can’t thank Macmillans and the staff at Salford Royal enough also the Chrities staff. I’m just currently recovering slowly at home. Thank you for reading any advice would be welcomed.

regards

Paul 

• Wow good on your barber for mentioning it to you. I’m a similar timescale, had my wide local excision on my leg, groin biopsy (which got infected) over three weeks ago now & heard nothing since. I’m stage 2a with superficial spreading melanoma. It’s a total whirlwind. 
    Hope the pain eases quickly for you and you get some news soon. X

• Morning thank you for your reply. It’s been a bit if a world wind really. It’s scary that’s for sure 

• Hi Paul hope you get good results. I am waiting for mine too.

Have a look at my profile. I have my full timeline noted if it is of any help.

Be positive and look forward..The treatment for Melonoma has a very high success rate..something like 96% of people treated live  for  over 10yrs. So we are not going anywhere soon.

Keep in touch and let me know your results. I will too..looks as if we are on similar time lines. TAKE CARE. Merry Xmas.

• Thank you for taking the time to replying to me. The one thing I know is I’m not alone. I think because of the pain and swelling ( to be expected ) I’m feeling sorry for myself. My work place have been good with me but I want to get back as soon as possible. I wish you a merry Christmas to Paul. 

• Hey Paul

I’m also staged 1B, waiting on my lymph node biopsy and wide local excision like you’ve already had. Imagine I will be quite the same sitting home sorry for myself!

The thing is with our staging most of the time it’s cured with surgery according to the statistics I’ve been shown. Although I know rationally it’s most likely to be a low risk of spread, the brain can’t help but wander to silly places.

The waiting is the worst part because you feel so out of control. It helps me to accept that helplessness and try to be kinder to myself because using my energy to worry about something I can’t change is a waste of time. Do something to treat yourself or make yourself happy today!

Hope that helps and you get your results soon. Merry Xmas!

• Hi Jed thank you so much for your reply. You’re absolutely right. I don’t think the scars make it any better as looks awful and painful hope you too have a great Christmas too 

Paul