3 Monthly Scans - Missed Booking

• 2 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi All,

I’m stage 4 having had secondary melanoma in my lung earlier in the year. I’m on immunotherapy (Nivolumab) for 12 months and have just had round 6.

My first 3 monthly scan (PET with brain CT) was back in mid September with no evidence of disease. I’ve been concentrating on treatment and the months have been flying by, so I didn’t realise that my next 3 monthly scan is supposed to be taking place next week! The long and short of it is that it hasn’t been booked. The wait time is 4-6 weeks. I’ve been advised to chase up my oncologist via her secretary. My question is, is it common for this to happen? I feel so let down. As we all know, you can’t mess about with melanoma and every week counts. Perhaps I should push hard to be seen and be on standby for cancellations? Sorry to grumble but after a misdiagnosis of ‘lung cancer’ despite my history of melanoma I feel like I’ve lost faith.

• I’ve had similar experiences over the course of my treatment over the last year. Contacting your oncologist sounds like good idea - I ended up sometimes being scanned in another hospital or in a portacabin because I expressly told them I was willing to take a cancellation. Good luck

• Thanks so much for replying, Tivbin. I’ll keep pushing. Sorry you’ve had this experience too. As if we don’t already have enough on our plates!