Where next?

• 2 replies
  • 48 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma, with spread to a neck lymph node, liver and lung and spine. He started the two immunotherapy treatment but has suffered quite severe side effects, being hospitalised after both. Temperatures of 40 degrees, oral thrush which has left him unable to swallow, so nil by mouth, a horrible bitter taste to everything  and very low sodium, which has now recovered. Oh, and diarrhoea and vomiting. So the team thinks they will discontinue the treatment. The good news is the growth  in his neck has shrunk, as has his lung tumours. 

Has anyone else been in this situatiin n? Will 2 treatment sessions be enough? It's so hard to believe that 5 weeks ago he was walking miles and eating and drinking for England. Now he walks with a frame and can't eat or drink. I feel so guilty leaving him in hospital, he just looks broken. 

Is there still hope?

• My partner had similar side effects from dab & tram targeted therapy, since Christmas. He lost 2 stones, muscle mass,  couldnt eat, and continuing infections.

He has been in and out of hospital up to August, on and off the treatment and eventually changed to Enco and Bini, another targeted therapy. On the full dose he again suffered high temperatures, shaking and fever. His dose has been reduced, and he is now coping with the treatment, backed up by painkillers, and preventative antibiotics.

He has put on weight, is eating properly and we have had a couple of trips away. The good news has been 2 out of 3 tumours have been totally resected and the 3rd shrunk, and he is just about back to his normal self. 

We feel much more positive, so yes there can be hope, and improvement. Please do not give up hope.

Best wishes Margy

• That's really encouraging Margy, thanks for your reply. It's all so hard at the moment, but it's good to know it's not all lost. Thanks again. Bissell