Acral lentiginous melanoma

• 2 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice and experiences please.

My husband has nasty lesion on his foot, we saw dermatologist Tuesday who said she is concerned and that it is an acral lentiginous melanoma. She referred my husband for a punch biopsy, which he had Wednesday morning. She then told us we would get results once they have had a MDT meeting and then discuss treatment. We are expecting the worst but what does this all mean? He is 36, and fit and healthy so we are hoping he will be able to withstand treatment if it is needed. Trying to absorb it all. Any advice please?

Thankyou and best wishes to you all

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It's always a worrying time when you're waiting for results but your husband did the right thing in going to see a dermatologist to get his lesion checked out.

If it does turn out to be melanoma then he'll have a wide local excision (WLE) to remove between 1 and 2cm of tissue all the way around the original biopsy site. This is to make sure there are no stray cells left behind. He may also be offered a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) but that usually depends on the depth of the melanoma. The SLNB is not treatment but rather the SLN nearest the lesion is removed to see if any cancer cells have travelled there. If there are no cells present in the SLN then your husband may not need any further treatment but will be monitored by skin checks every few months.

Do come back and let us all know what the results of the biopsy are.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thankyou for your reply x