Have the NICE guidelines changed for follow up treatment?

• 5 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi.  I was diagnosed with stage 1B melanoma in February this year. Referred for WLE and SLNB in March. The SLNB failed so I didn’t get the reassurance that the melanoma hadn’t spread to lymph nodes. I had my first follow up in June and the consultant advised I would be seen every 4 months (next appointment scheduled for October at my local hospital).  I thought follow ups would be every 3 months for 3 years then 6 monthly for the next 2 years before being discharged so was a little confused. Have just found these guidelines  https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng14/chapter/recommendations#follow-up-after-treatment-for-melanoma which seem to say different follow up treatment altogether including offering ultrasound at follow ups and less frequent clinic appointments.  Anyone able to clarify? Thanks xx

• Yes, it does look like the guidelines have changed . I've just come to the end of my 5 years of follow-up.

Edit - I had a link to the NICE guidelines, so that I could add it in replies, but that's no longer available. I suppose they monitor outcomes and have decided that the new guidelines are more appropriate.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks  for coming back to me.  As you say, presumably based on experience and outcomes. I’ll ask about it at my next appointment as my follow up treatment doesn’t seem to fit the old or new guidelines  - maybe it’s a tailored approach following the failed SLNB.  

• Hi Tinkerbell, I was just wondering how you’re getting on now 2 years later? 

• Hi Mysticdaisy.  I’m doing very well thanks.  Still having check ups every 4 months. Had a BCC removed from my back about 1 year after the melanoma diagnosis but thankfully no signs of melanoma recurrence so far.  How are you?

• Hi Tinkerbell, thanks for your response. Happy to hear all of your checks have been clear so far, hope they continue! I’m also well thanks, still waiting on a date for my WLE and I have an ultrasound of my lymph nodes in a couple of weeks since I can’t have the SLNB.