Trying not to overthink.

• 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

For as long as I can remember I've had a mole on the back of my shoulder. I noticed some time ago it got a bit bigger and darker. Stupidly kept talking myself out of going to the GP. I went in April and doctor wasn't overly concerned but referred me to dermatology. I've not heard anything since. In the last week I've noticed again it's changed and it more raised, darker and itchy. Saw another GP today who said she wants to expedite it ASAP to rule out melanoma. I'm on a 2 week waiting list now. 

Looking to hear from anyone who's been or is in a similar situation. I have a 9 month old baby and I'm just thinking the worst. 

Sorry if this is a pointless post x

• Hi Rosa, 

So sorry you are going through this worry and its definitely not a pointless post at all. What I can say is that all the waiting around, particularly at the start is awful and its perfectly normal to worry about it. The reality for me was, that didn't change until I received clarity one way or the other - that can take some time unfortunately and all you can really do is focus on one step at a time and take each day as it comes. Try to do whatever you can to take your mind off it as there are a lot of suspicious moles that go to dermatology, which turn out to be nothing to worry about. Even if dermatology are worried and suggest removal, there are a lot that still even then come back benign even then. Overthinking it is again pretty normal and I've definitely been there myself (I too have young children).

Take care of yourself and wishing you the best of luck, I'll have my fingers crossed for you that your mole is nothing to worry about.

• Thank you so much for your reply, I really do appreciate it.

I guess it's in our human nature to expect the worst! I just hope I'm not waiting too long nor have I ignored it for top long.

Hope you are doing well, have just read your bio Blush