Metastasis in brain x2, radiotherapy experiences?

• 3 replies
  • 50 subscribers

My partner was diagnosed in December, been on target therapy since Jan - tumours shrinking. Hospital this week to discuss stereotactic radiotherapy with it booked in for end of May. Can anyone share experiences of this, side effects etc? We’re trying to be positive… but I’m scared of side effects. We have a young child too. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I don't have any personal experience with stereotactic radiotherapy but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. 

I typed 'stereotactic radiotherapy' into the search bar at the top of the page and found these previous posts which mention it. You could have a read through them and reply to any of the more recent posters if you think they could help you further.

When you have a minute it would be great if you could pop something about your partner's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I had stereotactic radiotherapy for multiple brain metastasise carried out in mid-February. It was a little uncomfortable lying on the bed for the period of the treatment, but that would depend on the treatment your partner is getting. Theirs may not be uncomfortable at all. 

There is no pain from the treatment - they wont even know it is happening. I had some headaches for a few weeks, but they were nothing.

I have had a complete response to my treatment. On my tumours, they have all either gone or have reduced in size to be just about discernible on the scans. It is expected that they will continue to shrink.

From my experience, and I don't know your journey, it has been a very positive experience. The Gamma Knife process I went through saved my life.

"Get over the shock, and you can get over the rest"

• Thank you. That’s so reassuring. I’m so pleased to read it’s been so successful for you