Advice

• 4 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi Slight smile

I have a quick question that I hoped someone may be able to advise on. 

i had a stage 1a melanoma on my ankle and had a wle to remove that is December. All healed well and results from wle came back clear. 

i noticed a new leasion on my face which I’ve been referred to dermatology for on a 2 week wait appointment which is good they are checking it quickly. But my question is, if this second one on my face does turn out to be melanoma does that mean it has spread through my skin from my ankle or can it be completely unconnected to the first one? 

thank you for any advice you may have. 

• Hi and welcome,  glad to see your first melanoma was a very low grade with no initial spread. 

To be direct yes it can be another unconnected mole.  There are different types of melanomas, including both ones caused by sun damage and those not.  Your first mole was a low grade and you had a WLE with clear margins by the sound of it.  Oncologists do not routinely carry out a further investigation called a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) for very low grade melanomas as the evidence of recurrence from low grade melanomas is thought to be very low risk.  I was graded as 3c therefore had both a WLE and SLNB which showed cancer in 2 of the 3 lymph nodes so I'm undergoing immunotherapy treatment.

I'm not sure of the evidence available that supports the risk of topical melanoma spread but spread is usually via the lymphatic system and to an internal organ rather than a mole on the skin.

Your skin mark could be completely benign, non-cancerous and I hope that's the case but well done you on noticing it swiftly and dealing with it.

Fingers crossed it's not melanoma x

• Thank you, that’s helped me not worry as much :)

• Hi Kels. I had two two moles removed from my left arm which turned out to be a 1b on the upper arm and a melanoma in situ on the forearm. Like you, I was worried that the two were connected and a sign the melanoma was on the move but the consultant reassured me that they were unconnected and did not mean I had a higher risk of spreading. Hope that helps. Take care x

• Thank you Tinkerbell, that does help me not worry as much :)