Private mole check?

• 8 replies
  • 51 subscribers

A private hospital near to where I live offers private mole checks. As I am recently diagnosed I was considering this. I have no idea what all my other moles are doing! And it worries me! Have other people experienced this / what are peoples thought?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Adele,

I have just read your profile and see you are booked in for a WLE 22/2. An option would be to ask them at that appt how you can have a full mole check as you are worried.

I know what you mean when you say you are worried what your other moles are doing...I am convinced mine are plotting mischief... every time my back itches I get anxious. 

I am waiting for the results of my WLE and SNLB and intend to ask when I can have a full mole check.

I have had private care and NHS care please feel free to read my profile. 

• Thanks Anne, just read your profile.  Let us know the results when they come through. Thinking of you, the shock, uncertainty and waiting is not good. My anxiety is making life a misery right now!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Adele B

Thanks Adele

I will post my results, watch this space..

Take care xx

• Hi Adele. I had my WLE and SLNB on 4/02/22 and am now awaiting results. When the Plastics Registrar was doing my consent before the op we chatted about full body mole checks as I have many, many of them.

I also have private health cover through my hobby’s job and the Dr recommended a 360 degree mole scan which is available privately . Yet to do my homework on this but once I do I will repost. The alternative of course is just to take your own photos for comparison. I may do this further down the line but I think for my anxiety levels I will get the mapping done so I have a good baseline of what they look like now.

• Totally agree with you! My cancerous mole was on my forearm so I could see it had changed. I have no idea what all my other moles are doing. Such a worrying time. Let us know when you get your results back.

• Hi

Like you I'm a very moley person so at my first check-up after my WLE and SLNB my consultant told me to take photos of the different parts of my body to use as a base line. This I've done when doing my monthly check ever since. It means that I can easily notice if a new mole appears or an existing one changes.

After you've had your WLE you should be offered between 2 and 4 check‑ups during the first year as a Stage 1a melanoma patient. Clicking on this link will take you to the NICE guidelines on follow-up care if you want to read them.

I have never paid for a private mole check as I'm confident that my dermatologist knows what she's looking for. However, if you feel that it would put your mind at rest then I can't see any harm in having this done. I don't know how much it costs but I do know if you need to see a dermatologist privately then the initial consultation is usually between £150 and £200.

If you decide to go ahead and have the mole check done please pop back and let us know what was involved and how it went.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Adele,

Best wishes for Tuesday and your WLE and hope all goes well.

Following on from the private mole check thread, it set me thinking......

My husband has loads of moles, some quite large ones. They look ok to me at the moment. However for peace of mind I have booked him in for a full mole check with my consultant privately.

The initial consultation will be £180 so I will post what happens at that, and what if anything is next. 

Xx

• Thank you, that would be good to know. X