WLE experiences

• 11 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi all, I was diagnosed with stage 1A melanoma on 27th Jan. Got my WLE on 22nd Feb with a local anaesthetic. It is full theatre with covid tests before etc, which is completely different to the first op which was basically in a room off dermatology reception! Joy What can I expect at the WLE from those of you lovelies who have had one? Melanoma is / was on my left forearm and was 0.7.

• Hi

When I had my WLE it was done under a general anaesthetic as I was having a sentinel lymph node biopsy done at the same time. However, that would probably be the only difference between us.

In my case the surgeon cut a further 2cms all around the original melanoma area on my upper arm and then stitched this up with dissolvable stitches and covered these with a dressing. I was given instructions on how long to keep the dressing on, how to care for the wound, and given an appointment date to come back for my results. 

You will probably be advised to take over the counter painkillers until no longer needed, which in my case was for a couple of days. By the time I went back for my results two weeks later the wound had healed nicely although it was still very lumpy and unsightly. The SCNS recommended that I massaged the wound area with E45 a couple of times a day both to help soften it and to 'teach' the skin to feel again. It probably took the best part of a year for the wound area to completely return to normal. 

The amount of skin taken away varies depending on how deep the melanoma was. I think that the minimum is 1cm and the maximum 2cms.

I think that covers my experience but if you want to ask me anything please go ahead.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Adele B.

I had a mole in the middle of my upper back and diagnosed as a melanoma in situ. My WLE was carried out last November under a local anaesthetic. The procedure lasted 45 minutes from walking into theatre to walking out again. My dermatologist was accompanied by one nursing sister and apart from a slight prick from the first injection I never felt a thing. I'm pleased I couldn't see anything for obvious reasons. Afterwards it was suggested that any discomfort should be treated with any over the counter painkillers that you use at home and I only used them at night just to make sure I could sleep properly. My main concern and discomfort was caused by the stretching sensation on the sutures. The scar has healed well although there is an occasional spot of discomfort, again when stretching. The worst bit is waiting for the biopsy result.

Good luck with your op. and I hope it goes well for you.

• So my husbands melanoma was initially staged at 2.My husband’s WLE on his back was with  a general anaesthetic as they carried out sentinel lymph node biopsy at the same time which seems to be the procedure to see whether it has spread anywhere else. You then have a wait to see if there is any spread which in our case there was so referred to oncology and immunotherapy treatment. All cases are different and you have only been staged at 1a so WLE is probably the best course of action to make sure they have got all the melanoma sure you will be fine. X

• Thank you, that’s good to know. Blush

• Hi Adele  I had WLE done on my neck under local. Scintigraphy failed to find lymph nodes hence the option for local anaesthetic as no deep exploration justified. I felt nothing and had lovely chats with the delghtful surgical team throughout the procedure.  I needed no post op pain relief beyond occasional paracetomol for the first week. Don't worry.

As it happened I did have local spread and have just completed a course of four Ipilimumab and Nivolumab infusions. Awaiting scan results to see what happens next. I have to say I experienced virtually no untoward side effects beyond tiredness. The two lumps that I could feel in my neck have gone. A year of maintenance infusions to come. We are lucky to be patients now and not just 12 years ago before these remarkable therapies became available. Always stay positive - it helps your body fight. Good luck.

"There is nothing as powerful as a made up mind"  - JASON SCHECHTERLE.

• Thank you. I’m finding it hard some days, my mind always focuses on the “what ifs!” 

• Hi Adele. I had my WLE and Sentinel lymph node biopsy last Friday as a day case. My melanoma was 1b and on my thigh. I had it done under general anaesthetic so had the usual nausea I get afterwards but that soon cleared. I was given codeine as pain relief and I certainly needed it for the first 2 day or so. The groin incision was okay but the thigh one felt like it was burning but I think this was due to the stretching of the skin at the suture line. Within a couple of days it feel much improved. Still not walking long distances and taking regular rests with my feet up. Now just the 4 weeks waiting for the results…that is the worst part.  Also missing exercise which is my normal stress relief Grimacing

This forum is great and lots of people with great advice and support.

My tip of the day to anyone that may be about to have surgery and may be taking strong painkillers for more than a day or two, is to make sure you have medication in the house to treat the constipation side effects that come with the painkiller! You don’t want to have to deal with extra discomfort when you don’t need to!!!

I hope it goes well for you Adele and remember you are probably still in that shock stage when you first get diagnosed…it is a lot to take in xxx

• Thank you! I agree this is a great forum and yes I am still in shock. Having some positive days but mostly I feel numb. 

• Hi Adele. I was exactly the same and also couldn’t sleep and kept waking up at 3am and just lying there. I discussed it with my skin cancer nurse and she suggested a session with the MacMillan clinical psychologist which was fantastic. It really helped me see that what I was going through was very normal and she also gave me some great sleep tips.  

I only had one session but it helped so much and I would recommend people to avail of this if offered.