Still awaiting WLE and SLNB

• 10 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Anyone else waiting for their WLE and SLNB? I got told about my 2B melanoma on 10th December and recently got a provisional date for 15th Feb but since I’ve just had covid (eugh) they’re delaying it to early March as they want it to be 7 weeks after the positive covid test. So annoyed at more delays and angry at myself for catching covid when I need this surgery.

To top it off I'm bridesmaid at my best friends wedding on 21st March and worrying whether I’ll even be able to walk down the aisle with her, nevermind do any dancing, if the surgery is too close to it… it’s on the bend of my knee so couldn’t be in a more awkward place for movement and im having a skin flap done because of that. Anyone else had a skin flap done on a bend and have positive recovery stories? 

Just feeling rubbish about it all and need to rant somewhere :(

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that you're still waiting for your WLE and SLNB.

When I was diagnosed with melanoma 5 years ago I had to wait from the end of November until the middle of February to have my operations. In my case this was because that winter the NHS was under severe pressure and even cancer operations were being cancelled. So I do know how frustrating the wait can be.

As my WLE was on my arm and the SLNB was in my armpit I don't know how having the WLE on the bend of your knee will affect you. Do you know where the SLNB will be? I'm hoping someone who's had a WLE and skin flap on their knee will pop in soon to tell you how they got on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi I had a WLE on my thigh with a lymph node removed from my groin back in October. The op on my thigh was ok , never had any pain at all , it wasn't done with a flap but did have a 5 inch stitched area . My worst part was the groin op , that didn't to seem to heal so well causing a few more complications , but even after all this I could wear my normal jeans and cloths after 3 weeks and walking fine  , just make sure you rest and put your leg up all the time ( I did for the whole 3 weeks, as I also had a goal ) . You may have had this already done , but good luck with your journey. 

• Thank you for sharing, that’s good to know that you were in your jeans after 3 weeks! I’m apprehensive about recovery as I have a crawling baby to look after so not sure how much chance I’m going to have to keep my leg up but hopefully all will be okay. My op is rebooked for 1st March so I’ll have exactly 3 weeks before the wedding. Best wishes to you 

• Glad you have your date .I made sure everything was organised, we run a family business and the busiest time was coming up, and let's say I don't like asking for help , but if you can get help with your little one, I think you would find it helpful, as I would really say rest is key . I made this mistake when I first had my mole removed, didn't rest and thought I could walk 100 mile in 70° heat .it didn't heal as well as it should have, and my leg swelled , leading to my lymph nodes reacting to it all , showing on scans so they thought just to be safe have a biopsy done , which came back inconclusive, so then decided to remove them with the WLE op .After the results came back negative and I explained about how the mole removel went and me being silly , they came to the conclusion that's why lymph nodes reacted. This is why I didn't make the same mistake twice . 

• Hi

I'm just checking in to see how you are after your recent WLE and SLNB. Have you had the results back yet?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks for checking in  :) 

WLE and SLNB all went to plan on 1st March but I was then on crutches for 2 weeks not able to straighten my leg which has resulted in me now being unable to straighten my leg or walk properly because my muscles have all bunched up. Having to pay for private physio as the hospital didn’t have any appointments but hopefully I’ll be back walking normally soon. Very tricky whilst looking after a baby! No results yet so just trying not to think about them too much. 

• Hi Sophie0037481, so glad to hear you're out of hospital although from what you say you must be struggling with your baby whilst your leg muscle isn't working properly.  Latchbrook probably has a better idea than me how common this is.

I'm sad you can't access NHS physio and have to pay out for private but the main thing is you get your leg working fully again so life can carry on.  It certainly doesn't stop just cos we've had an op especially with a little one!

I'll have my fingers crossed for your leg to improve asap and for you to be up and about again living the "new normal" (that's what I've decided to call life after diagnosis!)

Take care x

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that you ended up on crutches after your WLE and SLNB. Do you mind me asking why you needed crutches?

How's the physio going? It's hard enough going through a WLE and SLNB without having to have physio after as well.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your results. Were you given an indication of how long they'll be? I'm sure that looking after a baby is a great distraction while you're waiting Slight smile

x

Community Champion Badge

• The crutches are because the mole was behind my knee and I had to have a skin flap done there so wasn’t allowed to straighten my leg whilst it healed :( they didn’t warn me of the impact this would have on my leg muscles but it’s just one of those things I’m having to just deal with. They said around 4 weeks for results so should be any time now really. And that’s true, being kept very busy at least haha. 

• Ah, that explains it Slight smile Mine was on my arm so the WLE and SLNB didn't cause any problems thankfully.

Do let us know when you get your results

Take care x

Community Champion Badge