CT and CT/PET Scans with confusing results

• 5 replies
  • 51 subscribers

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Melanoma (in a lymph node under my right arm) with unknown primary in December 2019. I had 12 months of immunotherapy and had my regular 3 month/ 6 month skin checks and scans for the next 2 years up until this month. All was clear until my 6 monthly CT scan on 1st December. The radiologist report (and the scan images) reported/showed a 7.5mm lesion on my right lung. My oncologist said it looked suspicious/cancerous due to the shape and colour and immediately sent me for a full body CT/PET scan. I saw my oncologist yesterday for the results of the CT/PET scan and although he had not received the radiologists report he could access all the images from both the PET and CT scan. The PET scan showed NO highlighted/glowing regions in my right lung of anywhere else in my body. My CT scan showed NO lesion on my right lung - the oncologist could not find the previously reported/shown lesion on my lung. So I am extremely confused. He did say he wasn't a radiologist but had seen thousands of scans and I'm sure he wouldn't tell me they were clear if there was a possibility that they were not. Has anybody else had a report of something suspicious which, in closed followed up scans, has disappeared. I really don't know what to think. If the lesion has disappeared in less than a week what was it in the first place or somehow has my oncologist failed to find it - something I'm pretty sure he would not do and give me false hope.

• I should add I've been scheduled for another CT scan in 6 weeks time. 

• Well this all sounds good news that nothing can now be seen? What a rollercoaster of emotions you  must be going through though. 

• Hi Amcci,

Thanks for your positive reply. Yeah, this journey has been a toll on me more emotionally than physically. There never seems any black and white answers just more unanswered questions. I'm trying to convince myself that a) my Oncologist knows exactly how to view scan images and b) if he says there is nothing showing then he wouldn't tell me that if there was a possibility something was there. However, if that is the case why isnt he confident enough to give me the al clear and has instead sent me for a further scan? Hopefully he is just being over cautious. I read your profile and can sympathise everything you are going through but they seem to be thorough and I'm sure your condition is treatable. I was Stage 3 and not once did my Oncologist say anything except that he was confident of curing me. Good luck. Chris

• On my last scan I got the results that they'd seen something in a lymph node. Got sent for a Fine Needle Aspiration biopsy and on the day they couldn't see anything to biopsy on the ultrasound so didn't go any further and sent me on my way.

It's very difficult to not have a definitive answer and wondering what if. 

• Thanks Scott88, every little good story or someone who has had something similar and come out the other side is very helpful.