Bleeding after WLE

• 9 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I had my WLE yesterday low down on my right thigh by my knee (along with SLNB) and it was fine last night but this morning it's bleeding under the dressing - maybe a teaspoonful pooled at the bottom. 

I have tried the weekend number given to me in the paperwork and been told they can't help because it's not the right ward and then passed to another number which just rings out.

I am now debating whether to ring NHS emergency GP number or not. I don't want to start a long process of questions with three different people to see a GP if it's completely normal! 

(Incidentally, I didn't get a bleed with the initial excision biopsy but it had a pressure dressing on it for the first day.)

So, does everyone get a bit of bleeding or do I need to take action? 

Thanks so much,

Kate

• Hi Kate

I didn't have any bleeding after my WLE and SLNB but in the leaflet I was given it said under the heading of bleeding:

"If there is bleeding from your wound apply firm pressure for 15 minutes. If it does not stop please contact the ward".

So, in your position as you can't get a reply from the number you've been given, if the bleeding hasn't stopped I'd contact NHS111 for advice. In fact you might want to do that for peace of mind anyway.

Let us know what they say

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Kate. I had my wle and slnb on Monday . My wle was on my lower back. I had to stay overnight as I had a reaction to the anaesthetic but while I was there I felt like my back was wet. Turns out it was blood. 

Thr nurses changed my dressing and said if it happens again to remove dressing, apply pressure with gauze for 10 mins then check, then additional 5 mins if needed. Check to see if wound open if bleeding continues. 

If bleeding stopped , clean dried blood and apply new dressing. 

If bleeding continued after 15 mins to call 111 if out of hours. 

They said it was OK if there was some blood as long as it stops 

Hope this helps 

• Aw, thank you! I ended up phoning weekend GP number in Wales and I'm waiting for a call back. It seems to have stopped actually bleeding but I was scared to take the dressing off in case I'm not supposed to. Hopefully I'll get a call back soon and I'll tell them what you said happened with yours.

• Thanks Latchbrook. I'm waiting for a call back now.

• Just to update, I've given up waiting and managed to remove the saturated dressing and change it myself - sort of! It was a pig to get off as it's waterproof, but I used a tiny bit of boiled water and clean cotton pads to loosen it. Having wiped around the wound to get rid of the blood, I managed to apply a clean waterproof dressing but I stuck some of the sticky bit to the steri strips underneath so now the bit that was bleeding is under the clear sticky bit, which is not ideal but there's no way I'm pulling it off from there. Will see how I go now, and fingers crossed no more bleeDizzy faceding. DIY medical care because THE WEEKEND! Dizzy face

Thanks again - I don't know what I'd have done without this forum! Xx

• It hurts so much trying to get those waterproof dressings off. Glad it seems to  have stopped bleeding for you

• Hi Kate

How is everything today? I'm hoping that you haven't had any more bleeding since the first episode. 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• No, it's all good now thanks. I showered this morning and everything stayed dry as it was supposed to and there's nothing at all on the white part of the dressing so no more bleeding. I think it was where the blue dye came out in the night as the blood was in the same place as the blue dye all in the bottom of the first dressing. The GP rang me at 6pm and I told him that I'd got help from you lovely lot and done it already.

Thanks again :) Xxx

• Great news Thumbsup

Community Champion Badge