Melanoma in Foot

• 1 reply
  • 50 subscribers

Hi 

I'm new to this group and my younger brother has just recently had a cancer diagnosis. They thought it may have been a sarcoma but have said its melanoma in his foot. The consultant has said that the treatment is more that likely amputation  which my brother (35yrs) is really struggling with. Anyone with similar experiences/ had an amputation  or alternative treatment?

He had a scan and thankfully it hasn't spread which I was relieved about but he is more worried about losing his foot/leg than the spread. I understand this. How can I support him. He isn't a bit talker and doesn't tend to reach out for independent support 

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your brother has recently been diagnosed with melanoma and the likely treatment will be amputation of his foot. This must be very hard for your brother to come to terms with.

I have had a look through the group and although there are people who have posted about having a finger or toe amputated no one has mentioned having their foot removed so I can't link you to anyone who has had a similar experience I'm afraid.

I can see that you've also joined the family and friends group which will be a great place to ask about how others have been able to support a family member who has a cancer diagnosis. 

It would be great if you could pop something about your brother's journey into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"