Sleep deprivation on steroids after brain radiotherapy

• 2 replies
  • 49 subscribers

I am on high dose steroids (Dexa) for brain swelling after radiotherapy treatment  for melanoma brain mets. The sleep deprivation and mood swings are the real killer, but my GP is more keen on giving me hand cream because of thinning skin. They offered Zopiclone for sleep, but this didn’t work well for me and they had no other suggestions.

I’ve been getting 2-4hr sleep a night for 2 months and with another 2 months of treatment to go I’m starting to loose my marbles! I think with more sleep I could cope better. Any suggestions or tips would be gratefully received!

• Hello , it’s 6 years since I was on steroids, I remember the feeling but unhelpfully don’t remember any advice. I wondered if it was worth asking in the Living with incurable cancer forum - patients only, as there is often someone awake over there, or between 8am and 8pm the 0808 808 0000 support line. 

I’ve had 6 hours sleep and woken early my minds reviewing the day ahead I guess, echocardiogram and pre surgery checks, nothing major just things moving along. I suppose when I can’t sleep I give up trying and just try and relax at night, music and headphones, sometimes a mindfulness virtual walk which often I would fall asleep whilst doing it. During the day I’d hope to do something that tires me, or at lest would give a sense of achievement, doesn’t have to be anything big.

I haven’t had brain mets or radiotherapy, I hope it’s going ok for you.

Take care KT

• Thank you for the pointer to the other group and advice on what worked for you at night.  I’m feeling tired during the day, but I think you’re also right about trying to be more active during the day. So I’ll give all those things a try!