Grading

• 4 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi 

Partner had lesion removed from his arm and sadly told it is a melanoma now awaiting wide excision and SLNB, would he have been told of what grade the lesion was when told it was a melanoma or will it be after SLNB and WLE ?

As I wasn’t with him at initial appointment he can’t remember if the doctor told him a grade if any ? He is awaiting a call from a Macmillan nurse so maybe she will know. I’m trying to stay positive as my partner is but it has come as a shock. So pleased I found this forum. 

• Hi , my metastatic melanoma had an occult primary (not found) so I have no experience of what your partner has gone through however, after every appointment my hospital sends a letter to confirm what they have said to me and send a copy to my GP. I get my letters a few days afterwards so I’m thinking / hoping you won’t have long to wait and find out. It’s difficult when you get a diagnosis, I know I glazed over and stopped listening, not intentionally, just with disbelief / shock.

Take care KT

• Thank you. That is what I thought might happen, we have just received one letter explaining what was going to happen to initially so as you say sure we will receive a letter explaining diagnosis. My partner was told on the day he was told about it being a melanoma that he will be referred for a SLNB and WLE so it’s the waiting for a date for that now, we’re hoping that there won’t be a delay because se of Covid.   Fingers crossed

• Hi . I wasn't told my stage at my appointment but was only told it was Melanoma and I didn't know at the time to ask. I ended up calling my consultant's secretary and my consultant called me back the next day to explain about staging etc so your husband could do the same and give them a call. x

• Thank you, I think he’s going to wait for his next appointment or letter which ever comes soonest.