Referral

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I have recently had a referral to see a Dermatologist and I am being seen on the 1st of June. I am extremely worried about this appointment, I think it's the whole thought of the C-word. I have had a red mark around a mole for well over a month and the redness has grown bigger, with the mole changing colour. It has no texture or anything, and it's not even sore or dry! 

Has anyone had a similar experience to me? I'm hoping it's nothing, but the worry is still there. I am 24 and never expected anything like this, but I am a redhead with extremely fair skin, also have used sunbeds in the past! 

Thanks!

• Hi hans345, well done for arranging to get your mole checked out. I haven’t had a primary melanoma found, so I haven’t got the experience you’re looking for, my diagnosis was when melanoma had already spread to many lymph nodes. Based on my experience I’d just echo well done for getting it checked out. It sounds from what you’ve said it’s the thought of it possibly being cancer thats got you worried. It’s funny with melanoma you have the worry waiting for appointments and possible surgery and by the time you definitely know if it is melanoma or not it’s in many cases already been removed. 

I hope you’ve got a plan for coping with the waiting, and not letting the wait ruin the next few weeks. I think with lockdown and everything most people have got to know themselves and how they deal with uncertainty. Wishing you lots of luck.

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KTatHome

How awful! I really do hope you're okay.

Yeah I'm pretty petrified and I don't know how I should be feeling, it could just be nothing but deep down I know something isn't right. I have started counseling recently for something completely unrelated but I think I may mention this!

My main problem is with work at the minute, I am very anxious and nervous in case I have to have time off work to have it removed. I know it's only minor surgery usually, but I work within a forensics unit so my job can be dangerous and I don't want to get injured. 

• Hi 

I'm sorry to hear that you're waiting to see a dermatologist for a mole that has changed. I know what a worrying time this can be having been through the same process 4 years ago. That time it did turn out to be melanoma but I've had a couple of suspicious lesions removed since which turned out to be benign. If you want to read my story just click on my profile picture or my username.

I had my first face-to-face check up with my consultant in 15 months this week and she wants to remove another suspicious mole. As she said we won't know what it is until it's been sent to the pathology labs so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that both yours and mine turn out to be nothing of concern. Of course you might not even need a biopsy if the dermatologist doesn't think it's anything worrisome and just because you think it might be doesn't make it a fact.

Do let me know how you get on at your appointment.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi hans345, I think that’s a good idea mentioning it at your next counselling meeting. has got a very good point that they may decide it’s nothing and no surgery. Time off work to recuperate shouldn’t cause a problem for you, Macmillan do have an ask an expert section which includes a section for work support, I’ve put the link below

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ask_the_expert/ask-a-work-support-adviser

they also have a support line 0800 808 0000 so you can discuss your concerns in a more conversational way. I’ve used the phone number myself when I was unsure what to do about being invited for Jury service while on treatment.

I do hope things don’t get too stressful. 

Take care KT