Skin hypersensitivity

• 5 replies
  • 51 subscribers

5 years ago I had an axcillary lymph node dissection (left side) and thankfully have had the all clear.

I have been left with nerve damage which effects my left arm.
I take gabapentin (600mg 3 times day) which controls alot of the pain in my armpit but the numbness on the back of arm is unrelenting and when clothes rub it the pain is increased. It also feels slightly puffy and swollen in my upper arm and chest although nothing was of concern when I was signed off at the hospital.

Does anybody experience similar or have any relief for this? I have had capsaicin cream suggested but have not pursued this yet

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the melanoma group

When I had my SLNB and WLE 4 years ago I experienced numbness at both sites but this gradually eased over a 12 month period.

I noticed that mentioned having nerve damage in a post a while ago so I've tagged them into my reply to you in case they can tell you what has helped them.

I can see that you also posted this in the ask a nurse section of the online community and wondered if you'd followed up their suggestions on pain relief?

I hope you're able to get the pain managed soon.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

Thank you for sending me the link which I will look Into. 

I am going to contact my doctor for his advice on the hypersensitivity as some people suggest using ice and some suggest heat to ease it. After 5 years of irritation I'm sadly not expecting to lose it now, although it's not a very plesent sensation I know I'm cancer free which is the most important thing to know.

Thanks again

• Hi, have a look in to CRPS, I suffer with it, it can be caused by an accident or operation, it's horrible sensations pins and needles intense pain, I am on morphine, it may be worth trying to get under pain management.

• Hi there

Thanks for the reply,  I'll have a look at it. I have tried capsaicin cream but that was just too hot and rather uncomfortable. I currently use deep freeze ice roll one which as you can imagine just makes it cold but takes my mind off it when it gets painful. 

• Your welcome, some people are heat sensitive and some cold sensitive, burning nights website has alot of information and there are a few Facebook groups, but normally people suffer pain, wired sensations, hot and cold, pins and needles, colour changes, to name a few, I am on capsican I think you get used to it but I know many can't stand it, it's not a widely known about disorder so many doctors dismiss it as "in your head" as you can't suffer pain years after the trauma in their beliefs.